Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time to this site, and I'll appreciate any help! A couple of weeks ago my laptop was bogging more every day. Looking at Windows Task Manager, I noted that AVG was taking a large percentage of CPU time. At the same time, I had trouble opening Internet Explorer. I live and die by my computer and the internet, so I really needed to get this fixed!

A computer-savvy friend, as well as our ISP support guy thought I had a virus that had corrupted. So I uninstalled AVG (which really helped the computer run better, albiet hazardously), then downloaded and reinstalled it. I ran a virus scan, which detected and deleted a serious virus. All was well with the world. Until the next day.

The same symptoms recurred. So after searching the internet for a solution, I again uninstalled AVG and installed MS Security Essentials. I also uninstalled a malaware program. The computer ran well, but the same symptoms arose the next day. When the computer slows and hits the disk frequently, MsMpEng.exe is taking quite a bit of CPU time: anywhere from 15% to over 50%. This morning after starting the computer, it ran at reasonable speeds for a few minutes, then MsMpEng began taking over and the symptoms recurred: high CPU usage, heavy disk usage, and trouble using Internet Explorer. However, after running for a couple of hours, it is back to reasonable run times.

I'll eagerly await your help. I've seen great, helpful advice from wonderful people, which is why I signed up for TSF. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Go in to safe mode (F8 at startup) press windows+R (or go in to run) type msconfig. go to the startup tab and disable all startup programs. Right click "my computer" properties > system restore tab. TURN OFF SYSTEM RESTORE files hide there. Clear all temp files. Ditch AVG and get avast it's free too but it more powerful. download crap cleaner once your in windows normally, get hijackthis too and use that to eliminate any unwanted registry entries, but do crap cleaner and hijack this in safe mode. Run avast in safe mode before those 2 though. Do a scan with adaware too if needs be.

Uninstall any programs you don't need, do a defrag after the virus is gone.

If you find no virus for some odd reason then try opening up the pc, reseat the ram and the processor with a little more thermal paste if needed.

Alternatively try using a partition manager to make a clean partition, move all files across, and isolate as much of windows on one partition before wiping that partition clean. and reinstalling windows.

Let me know how you get on.

cheers,
Elliot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Elliot. I'll look forward to implementing your suggestions.
Here's an update: this am, the computer started, but then displayed this message:

The system has recovered from a serious error.

BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : 725E1707 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 894B1C18 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER38b0.dir00\Mini011310-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER38b0.dir00\sysdata.xml

Does this mean anything to you??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Elliot,
I've aready dumped AVG and replaced it with Microsoft MSE. In fact, it found a few viruses that AVG apparently missed. Do I now need to dump MSE??
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.