Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop winxp sp3, 256mb, 40gb (54% free) 2.4GHz Obviously this computer is lacking in memory, so I've done all my normal tricks trying to conserve resources. No detected spyware/malware or viruses as checked using a combo of spybot s&d, adaware, avast, and hijackthis. Avast and winxp firewall are the only protection currently installed. Minimal startup TSR's and basic system services/processes running. I've toned down the "windows dressing" and disabled indexing. Cleaned out all the temp files/folders etc. Current drivers and updates from MS. She's lean and mean right?

The computer really slows down when trying to do anything memory intensive. The slow "eternity-to-open-a-window" kind of crawl. Booting to the desktop at idle, the task manager shows Commit total at about 350MB This seems high for a "streamlined" system. Avast is the biggest memory user at 36MB virtual memory for one TSR and about 31MB for another.

I've tried disabling and recreating the page file (which I currently have set at 640mb min/max) I have also tried letting the OS handle the page file size. Disk management says the drive is not fragmented. Drive is using Ultra DMA-2. I have also tested the drive with Spinrite and the memory with Memtest86+. Drive and memory tested out without errors.

From what I can tell, everything runs as expected for a 256mb system until I run something that needs virtual memory. Just running FF or IE slows things down. I've had many different computers over the years with much lower specs and have never experienced such a slug.

I know more ram would help, but I don't the owner is willing to spend the money on it since it's now a "backup" laptop for an Asus Laptop he just bought.

Any help/suggestions appreciated? TIA -V

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you. I know that buying more ram would help. This computer was bought in 2007 from Best Buy. There's no way this computer performed this bad when it was brand new. I've trimmed the "fat" so it should be performing even better than brand new, but it isn't. I have to think there's something else wrong.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.