Tech Support banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speed with fios is 28ping 78.42 mbps down and 75.77 up testing at a location about 40 miles from where I am, but how do I test my home network speed. We sites take several seconds to load, still kind of frustrating. I notice with my home network I have to 3 bars/signal instead of 4. I'm told sites like fast.com can check my home network speed but they are not specifying what speed they are checking, from the modem ONT or the home network. I checked my speed above with speedtest.net.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,099 Posts
The lesser number of bars indicates a receiving problem from your router. You might need a repeater or mesh system, or your network card is going.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team
2,584 Posts
Exactly......singal strength is different from internet speed.

On your modem/router.....is it dual band or just a single band of 2.4ghz? If it's dual band....make sure any wifi devices that are 5ghz capable are connected to the 5ghz band? If you live in a big neighborhood, you could set the wifi channel to something less used or set to auto.

For speedtest.net; I pay for 400/20 package....and I get 480/23 Mbps....so software like that only tests the speed of the data transfer, ping and nothing else.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly......singal strength is different from internet speed.

On your modem/router.....is it dual band or just a single band of 2.4ghz? If it's dual band....make sure any wifi devices that are 5ghz capable are connected to the 5ghz band? If you live in a big neighborhood, you could set the wifi channel to something less used or set to auto.

For speedtest.net; I pay for 400/20 package....and I get 480/23 Mbps....so software like that only tests the speed of the data transfer, ping and nothing else.
On of the things that frustrates me is I am living with family right now, so sometimes I have to be sure I don't make changes that effect all of. This may NOT, but I just have to be careful I don't do anything that will effect the rest of the family's speed settings. I can look up the manual online, but if I need to go into the router's settings I have to be careful what I do.

·
Premium Member
19,742 Posts
Just a few thoughts. what router do you have? How old is it? As routers get older, they tend to slow. Do you have a smarthome? Do the other family members stream, game or anything that would affect your usage? The more users the slower things go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts