Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Wasn't sure to post here or in networking forum but the issue I'm having is the transfer speeds between Homegroup computers.

I have a laptop & desktop both running Win 7 which are both connected to each other with the Homegroup.

When I copy a file, such as a video file, from laptop to the desktop its very slow. Like 1 Mb/sec or something. My laptop is connected to my router using wireless. I have, in the past connected my laptop via the Lan port but it made little or no difference.

I've read lots on Google regarding this, but can't find any real solutions???

·
Registered
92 Posts
How fast is your router rated for? If it's a generic qwest router it will be slow. Also if your laptop has a wireless g network card it'll be slow. You'll need a gigabit router, and a wireless N card (300megabit) to get max transfer speed.

Also it'll depend on your hard drive write/read speed. Remember that the transfer speed will be limited by the slowest computer. I have a gigabit router, and high speed wireless cards but i can only get a max transfer speed of like 20mB/s.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My router is a Netgear WNR 3500 which is a gigabit router.

Laptop is running a wireless N card, desktop is hardwired to router. Both hard drives are at least 300 Mb/sec. Even with far older hardware should be able to achieve way more that 1 MB/sec.

I think its a network/software/driver issue rather than the hardware itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.