Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running Win XP Pro. SP1 I just got done formatting and reinstalling windows on my box. I felt this was necessary because for some reason "system" in Task Manager was taking up 68-72% of my CPU. Although I had NOD 32 (with latest defs) and Zone Alarm Suite (with latest defs) installed they were coming up with nothing on full system scans (archives and everything else were scanned). I always used firefox to go on the net except to update windows. My previous install had all the latest updates including SP2 as soon as I had installed windows the last time.
This time the second that windows started up for the very first time I checked Task manager and noticed system was still hogging CPU. So I Installed HijackThis from my storage partition. Ran a scan. Installed the driver so my Ethernet port would work. Installed Firefox from my storage partition and then posted this message using firefox. Here is my log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:44:12 AM, on 11/7/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
G:\AUTORUN\AUTORUN.EXE
C:\Program Files\hjt\HijackThis.exe

O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm

This is driving me crazy. I haven't been doing the quick formats during install either. I was deployed for 4 mo. and this is what I had to come home to. I think I learned my lesson though :4-thatsba DISCONNECT YOUR HDD WHEN GONE SO FAMILY MEMBERS DONT SCREW UP YOUR SYSTEM!!! -razz:

I really appreciate your help. Ive exhausted myself trying to correct this problem the last few days so even the smallest bit of insight is a great help.
Thanks,
Jake

·
TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
42,837 Posts
Hello Jake and welcome to TSF,

This log appears incomplete. Please scan again with HijackThis in Normal Mode and post the log here and we'll be glad to help you sort this out. :smile:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.