Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i recently bought a us robotics v.92 modem for my new comp and installed the msn software.then i dialed up and the connection was at 16.2k. so i reset the comp and tried again,but the same speed came up.i checked the setings and its a at max bitrate of 115k.any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Try a different dial up number and see what happens.

What was the performance on previous dial up connections?

JamesO

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it would get 16k evenr since i installed it, but on my old comp i would get 115k almost everytime.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

First of all, with dial up, you can't connect to 115 although that is listed in the modem area as the fastest connect rate. I am not certain what the possiblities are, but something like 57.0 or something like that is possible with standard dial-up.

Second, the USRobotics modems are a pain in the neck to set up. However, you can set them up to work if you follow the steps that were given to me by a USRobotics tech a couple of years ago. Here is what he suggested:

Why not give the following a try:

1) Download the newest and latest drivers from the modem manufacturer’s website. (I know, you have a disk, but download the newest and best anyhow.)

2) Enter Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager and DELETE any references to any modem.

3) Shut down and physically remove the modem and then put the modem back in PCI slot #3 (Third slot down from the AGP slot)

4) Boot up and enter the BIOS setup menu.

5) In the BIOS setup menu find the PnP area. If you are running WinXP, then DISABLE Pnp….however, if you are using Win98, then make sure it is ENABLED.

6) Save and Exit

7) Boot back up and when the computer finds your modem, then load the drivers that have been downloaded from the manufacturer’s website. It may tell you that the latest and best are already installed, but install them anyway. (for example, WinXP only has v.90 drivers and not the most recent v.92 that are needed for best operation) If it says they are not digitally signed, then load them anyway. To load them you must select, have disk and then point it to your downloaded drivers.This is a long story, but I can assure you it is a money issue and a rip off from Microsoft in my opinion.

This should get you going if everything else on your computer is set up correctly!

Addendum: Just for my curiousity, what is the model of your USRobotics modem....it almost sounds like a 5699B, but the model doesn't change the recommendation that I have given you to try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.