Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. I am working on a pc for a friend of my who's main complaint was the computer going very slow. That is an understatement!! I have ran a virus scan and came up with 0 files infected with AVG. Removed some spyware that was detected with a free spyware scanner. Found the following items in the program files in the All Programs area from start: Gain, Dashbar, Mailskinner. What are these programs? There could possibly be more, just not exactly sure all of the places I should be looking.

Windows XP OS. It only had 128mb of ram and I added another 128 which seemed to make clicking a program a little quicker to open.

This machine has two users assigned to it. The second user gets the following error of: EGDACCESS_1058.DLL when it is starting up.

I have looked in Add or Remove Programs and everything in there looks ok. I did not see the names for the above Gain or Dashbar but Mailskinner is in Add Remove.

I don't have this pc connected to the internet right now. I will later, just wanted to see if I could remove as much junk as possible before hand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, another question regarding this same computer. They are using the McAfee Security Center which includes Virus Scan, Personal Firewall Plus and Privacy Service <--not sure what this is, but no Spam Killer. Are there any other security installs that you would recommend adding to this machine? Anti-Spyware and anything else needed. What is compatible with McAfee?

Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just make sure the McAfee is up to date. The only thing I can say about the programs that you typed in the post is the "Gain" program that sounds a little bit fishy. Plus windows XP runs very slow when you don't have anything less then 512mb ram. Putting in more ram was good, however it would be nice to know what virus scanner you used and I'm not sure about the user error.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. I installed AVG to scan the machine since I was having no luck with the McAfee. I also have ad-aware, spybot s&d and another spyware that I ran and each one found something different.

I've always heard that having two virus scanners is not a good thing to do, so I will uninstall the AVG since the McAfee is running now. How about the other spyware programs? Can I leave them for added protection?

The machine only had 128mb of ram which I was really surprised. I added another 128 and I could see a big difference in speed and will suggest that he upgrades that even more.

Thanks for your help!

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
I can assist, but I'm not a mod/tech on this forum especially not in the Security or HJT section, thus I'll leave it up to them.

First try all this: http://www.techsupportforum.com/sec...54-users-self-help-malware-removal-guide.html

If you still have some more issues, you can always post in the related forum. You should also defrag your HDD, clear out your temps and run anti-virus/spyware scans in SafeMode and all will run much better.

You're RAM was the minimum needed to run just windows and that would make it crawl. 512Mb is whats needed if you're to install software as well.

You shouldn't have too many "anti-" software running, although you can install them and if one fails the other can find the infectious file. Ad-Aware SE, SpybotS&D, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster, Trojan Hunter, MVP Hosts file, SPYAD-IE, ONE updated personal firewall and anti-virus is all you really can ever need. I'd also suggest ERUNT to backup your registry, Autoruns to manage your processes/services/startups and CCleaner for much thorough cleaning at a click. These will entail your system is strong, as fast as it can be, and healthy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.