Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having bought a Dell Dimension 9100 (very nice spec) fairly recently, I was mostly pleased with it.

A few weeks ago, however, my computer's startup started to slow down. It was as quick as ever until you got past the password entry screen, and the desktop actually loaded.

I've used msconfig to remove all the crap that was auto-loading, but there is still this odd moment whilst it is loading, when you cannot use the start menu or the taskbar (although you can click on desktop icons). After half a minute, the problem disappears, and the rest of the taskbar loads.

Could you help?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Me Too

i have the same problem with mine. I turn my computer on ( i dont have a user screen only 1 administrator loads straight to the desktop) and my desktop loads with all the icons. However i can't use the startmenu and my computer seems to lock up only mines like 1-2 minutes. In addition the icons on the bottome right hand side do not appear anymore. Only the clock. Then when i manualy open instantmessanger my norton icon appears but my volume and email protection icons do not. It is very puzzling and confusing. Help would be appreciated and if your confused on whats exactly happening let me no.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Even the volume icon doesn't appear. However, if you go to control panel under volume settings show icon in taskbar is checked. And if you uncheck it hit apply and then check the box and hit apply the icon appears. But if you restart it goes away any ideas?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hmmm.....i recommend performing a chkdsk on the computer. bootup with your windows xp cd and on the main console, choose repair. then the computer will ask for an admin password but if you dont have none, simply just press enter to skip the process.

then on C: type in "chkdsk /r" without the "" and make sure there is a space between chkdsk and /r.

then after this process is finish, reboot the computer and boot into windows likr normal and see if the slow down appears.

·
Registered
344 Posts
cofhunt said:
This may sound extremely elementary but how do i boot up just off my xp disc
Insert the disk that has XP on it, and restart your computer.

Personally I'd back up all of your important Data and use your "system restore" disk to just reinstall XP. It'll run like the day you got it. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
i did put the xp disc in my cd drive and it didnt restart it just loaded with the disc in there. Should i hit f8 and do something in that menu?

·
Registered
159 Posts
and i dont want to reformat because i dont have an external HD yet and i have over 20 gigs of music and other important things that can't be deleted

·
Registered
31 Posts
Go into thhe BIOS and change the boot order to boot from the CD first. Also, on some systems you can press F12 during POST and you will get a boot menu screen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.