Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Erm hi. Last night my PC was absolutely fine, and today it seems to be completely broken.

I turned the computer on today and received a "malware detected" message from Avast antivirus. I tried to move to chest/delete and the message kept popping up. I looked up NewDot malware on the internet (which is what Avast was detecting) and it said that NewDot prevents access to the internet, which seemed about right as i was having to use my laptop to access the internet as the time, because the other computer wasn't working properly. It said that i could get rid of it easily my going to Add/remove programs and uninstalling it, which i did.

After this i restarted the computer and the loading time was exceptionally slow, i thought it had frozen, but it was just taking 5-10minutes to load. When it finally did load i tried to access the internet through a number of different browsers, but none of them would load. I tried to open some other applications too, and they wouldn't load either. I went to msconfig and disabled the majority of my startup items, and then restarted the computer. Once again the loading time was slow, and no applications would start. I then tried to do a defrag, but the program didn't work. Then i tried system restore, and the application didn't load, i came back to the computer 5-10minutes later and it had loaded, but it came up with an error that said something along the lines of "system restore is unable to protect your computer, please restart and try again"

So thats my problem, the startup is slow, then n applications work (or they take a good 5-10minutes to load) as well as that when i shut down the computer it stops on the "saving settings" screen, and the shutdown doesn't work.

I could really use some help with this ASAP.

At the moment i'm trying to get my virus and spyware sacnners to work, but i don't hold out much hope that they will work any time this century.

Also, i forgot to mention, i looked up my services in msconfig, and the majority had "stopped" in the status column, when i tried to get them to start using services.msc it would time out and give me an error, i think the error number was 1503.

I've been trying for a few hours to get my computer back up and running, but after not making any progress i've given up.

Please help me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know if there's an edit option on this site, but i couldnt find it.

Anyway, i've found a website dedicated to this newdot "foistware" as it is known: http://www.cexx.org/newnet.htm

It says that deleting the .dll will result in a broken internet connection. IT also mentions that sometimes uninstalling it will still leave errors in winsock.
This seems to be what has happened to me, so i'm going to try the LSP fix utility available for download on that site. The problem is that this laptop has no floppy disk drive, and i don't have a UBS storage device available.

I was just wondering, if and when i do repair the LSP problems, could that be what is causing my system to run slowly? I hope so.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.