Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can help, my hubby's going crazy!

Our internet is so slow, sometimes taking 5 minutes to load a page, if it does at all. We've had our internet provider check our signal (we have dsl), and everything seems to be good. Just for fun, we took our laptop to a friend's house that has the same internet provider, same service, and no problems on his computer accessing web pages. When we plugged his cable in, our computer worked the same as it does at our house: slow!

A few weeks ago, we were having problems using windows update, and were prompted by Gateway support to restore our system. We did, then couldn't install SP2 because of a registry key problem. We have since resolved that issue, and have ran countless spyware and antivirus programs, so the computer seems to be clean. Anything else I can do to speed things up?

I am running IE 6 on Windows XP home, and have tried firefox with the same problem.

Thank you!

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Well, it can't be the modem since you tested the PC and all on another line. Maybe the NIC is going funky? Visit www.dslreports.com and do a few speed tests. If you're brave you could do a FULL system restore and start from scratch.

·
Registered
255 Posts
well, im on 28.8k and it used to take tat long to load pages like er.... hmm.... gamespot up, so my m8 gave me some programmes, after cleanin my system i installed some real-time protectionv (spyware guard + blaster) AVG and ewido, havin to reformat my com some days ago lost my copy of AVG so if some can tell me the link ill be most happy. Anyway movin on, i used to get a transfer rate tat was in they bytes. after installin these realtime protection my net speed increased dramatically back up to 2-4kb/s transfer (not alot but for my dialup it is) anyway, it cant be ur system tats causin the slowness as im on a:

P3 500Mhz with other bad componants. how about installing some realtime protection? email me i dont think i can say me addy here in a forum thingy so use that nifty gadget called the profile lol, ill send you some .exes tat might help. I also apologize in case this didnt help in one way

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
When connected to your DSL go and press CRTL-ALT-DEL and check the Networking tab. If your levels are spiking or really high, you most likely have a piece of malware or virus that is using up all of your bandwidth at once.

Make sure you run Antivirus and Antispyware scans on the pc also.

BMR777

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.