Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been dealing with a dozen different issues to get my new PC working. I'm finally just giving in to repairing Windows XP. However, my Windows XP installation that I want to repair and use is on a SATA RAID. Just 2 HDDs. Despite my motherboard recognizing the healthy RAID, the Windows XP install doesn't.

Of course, I figure it's because it needs the whole F6 + floppy disk thing with SATA and RAID drivers. Well wonderful, because I can't make the floppy because the only PC I can make the floppy with... is the one I'm trying to put Windows XP on. To make matters worse, XFX decided to make it impossible to simply access the SATA and RAID drivers, they need to be directly written to a floppy.

Solution? Virtual floppy disk drive. Ran the "Create RAID Drivers Disk" option on the XFX Driver CD. Transferred the drivers out of the virtual floppy disk. Used nLite to integrate the drivers into a new Windows XP install disc, based off of the one that came with my HP Laptop through my college. Viola, no longer need the F6 + Floppy Disk step.

Except I still get "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.". What the bloody hell? Was that not the entire point of the driver integration?

Motherboard is XFX GeForce 8200. Two 150GB SATA drives in RAID 0 connected. OS is Windows XP SP 2. Motherboard recognizes the RAID but Windows XP SP 2 installer doesn't despite slipstream integration of drivers with nLite.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, more wonderful news. Used a public PC to make the RAID disk, since the slipstreamed CD is being a POS. Tried the original CD *and* the slipstreamed CD: Press F6, press S, press enter. Says "Please wait..." then it returns to the previous screen... so I press enter again. Same thing. Thought maybe the diskette was FUBAR. So I used a blank one and it responded with not finding a "txtsetupOEM" or some such, which is good, because that's true. Except that means it's clearly finding it on the RAID diskette but it chooses to be a ***** and not do anything more than that.

So this is bloody pissing me off because I haven't had a single thing succeed here. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them, because I'm 100% out of ideas.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
There's always the possibility of it not being the correct SATA controller drivers.
What brand and model is the SATA controller (you can look at it directly on the chip - if it's printed there, or look at it in your manual). And which driver did you use?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With such wonderful documentation, the model or brand is omitted. Completely. Not to mention it came with no manual and I had to find it online. All I know is:

The box says: "SATA drive support with NVIDIA MediaShield storage technology - allows quick set up of data back up and support for RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 configurations."

The "RAID Driver Disk" that was automatically made using their little program has these files (which look, as far as I remember when I first made this RAID on my old system years ago, identical):

idecoi.dll
nvatabus.sys
nvraid.cat
nvraid.inf
nvraid.sys
nvraidco.dll
txtsetup.oem
disk1

For whatever reason, that "disk1" file has no extension, but that doesn't concern me. nLite finds everything it needs from that:

NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller
NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER

Sounds right to me. These are the drivers that shipped with it and all, not unheard of for them to be wrong but... I'm downloading new drivers from nvidia right now, I have no idea if they're the right ones or if I can actually access the RAID drivers themselves. Might just be one of those nForce update installers. Hopefully not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.