Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed Slax on a desktop (P5QL-E E8400 4GB DDR2) and a laptop (Dell CPi-A 366Mhz 128MB RAM) after downloading a basic install CD including Wicd Network Management and all dependencies plus gparted.

I have no issues a all with the desktop due to having loads of memory however I would like to free up some RAM on the laptop pending arrival of another memory stick or two. Since the Kwifi Manager doesn't seem to support wpa/wa2 support I want to replace it with the Wicd wireless manager which seems to work and has the options I need (tested on the desktop) . Question is though how do I go about it ?? Do I need the orginal LAN wireless manager or can I just deactivate or remove it

Does Slax also (as I understand from the slax site) automatically use the swap partition in low memory installations or do I have to invoke a command somewhere. I have seen and read different confusing explanations about how to do this. Does this slow down or improve performance ?

·
Manager, - Alternative Computing, - Design
6,530 Posts
Hi,

Done, I can help you with some of this but I will have to do a little looking for other parts. To answer your question on the swap partition, virtually every installation of linux creates a swap partition. They just assume that you are installing their distro onto a computer that has less than 1GB of ram. As this used to be the norm. Now-a-days with computer having so much ram or the possibility of having a lot of ram swap partitions aren't needed as much.

Your understanding of Slax and the swap partition makes sense to me. Based on what I know and the above statement. The best way that I can describe what a swap partition does is it acts like virtual ram. So anything that the ram would handle is also passed along to the swap partition to lessen the load in the real ram. You don't need to run any commands it just works on its own. I hope this makes sense.

About your question with changing your wifi manager. I will have to do a little looking. It would make sense to me that you could just install the second wifi manager and all the dependencies. Then make sure that it is reading everything correctly, and stop using your current wifi manager, but I will have to do a little research on that.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slax is supposed to be a lightweight linux distro aimed at the older laptop with limited memory.
requires minimum 30MB to run as command line whilst with 380MB it's supposed to be able to run using RAM.

It doesn't create a swap file although, according to documentation read, if it finds a swap partition it will use it automatically. My impression though is that it slows down an already slow system. There are various commands that I have read are to create a swap file however I assume that things have changed between versions since there are differing, confusing (to me) instructions.
I am currently getting various error messages with my boot cd and bootable partition for which I believe lack of memory is responsible. I am expecting another memory stick shortly, which should help but in the meantime I am hoping to do a bit finetuning to help speed up the laptop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.