Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've finally got everything working (if you've seen any of my thousands of requests for help :p) and now I just need to actually install Windows.

I have my old HDD which I want to put into the new comp, so I'll have to reformat, meaning I'll have to load Win ME (that's the only setup floppy I have) and then Win XP when that's done. I also have the HDD that was originally in the computer which CAN NOT lose any info (unless I want to lose my life :p) which I want to set as a slave drive.

How can I go about setting the original one as a slave drive and does it need to be done during the installation on the other HDD?

I hope that made sense :/

If you managed to give a really quick reply I'd love you forever :D

EDIT: I have one of the IDEE cables with the two connector things and there's enough power bit thingymajigs, it's just actually doing it I need help with.

(PS. Just realised this is in the wrong place. Sorry :()

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
First of all, are you saying you are installing Windows ME and then upgrading to XP? If that is the case, no can do. Windows ME CANNOT be upgraded to XP.
When installing your OS, just to be sure, fully disconnect your drive that will be used as a slave. Only connect the drive you are installing the OS on. Once the OS has been installed, you can see about hooking up the slave drive. As for jumper settings, look at your HDD. There usually is a picture with the jumper settings on it on the face of the drive.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
As long as the drives have theri jumpers set for MASTER and SLAVE as you want them to be then that's all there is to it. The OS can't override it. Ashler made a good point about ME and disconnecting the slave drive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the slave drive info. I hoped it would be that simple :p

I know you can't upgrade from ME. I meant that I was going to load ME (becuase that was the only OS I had the setup floppy for) then I could get to the XP installation in the CD drive.

Anyway, that doesn't really matter because I have a different problem :p

I got the XP setup thing from the net and put it onto the 6 floppies and used them to run by booting from floppy.

After it looked at all 6 floppies and I selected the partition options (I've tried a few different options but got the same thing), I got the error...

----------------------------------------------------

The following value in the .SIF file use by Setup is
corrupted or missing:

Value 0 on the line in section [SourceDiskFiles]
with key "SP1.cab."

Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.

----------------------------------------------------

Any help would be REALLY appreciated :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So do you mean slipstreaming it (not quite sure what you mean but I'm sure it'll become clear when I do it :p) and then burning the whole thing to a new CD?

Don't suppose there's any more information about doing whatever it is with this prog you could give me? :p Doesn't matter if not, I'll just have a look in the help files.

Thanks very very very much :)

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
it is virtually just mouse clicks,slipstreaming just updates your old xp disk to the current ones being sold

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Can that also be done to integrate drivers and such? I'd like to make a CD that's tailored to my PC if possible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, that's worked brilliantly (thanks :D) but now I just need to ask one final question before everyone can stop having to answer my stupid questions :p

After I've set the jumpers on the HDDs to master/slave and got them both plugged in etc, do I need to worry about changing drive names or anything (they're both C) and how do I boot from each one etc? I've never done it before so I haven't got a clue :p

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
windows will make the system drive C and allowcate the next available letter to the other drive automatically

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah great. Working :D

Got another problem now but I'll do another thread in the harddrive forums becuase this is getting full of my random problems :p

Thanks very much :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.