Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot get my slave drive to be my secondary drive. my computer reads both drives, but they are in the same location (location 1).

There are two different ide cables connected to each Hard Drive... instead of having one cable connecting to one as master and the other as slave, there are two different ones due to one cable not being able to reach both drives

I checked my bios, my IDE primary SLAVE is set to the HDD that I am using right now, and my IDE secondary SLAVE is set to the HDD that isn't being processed.

My windows recognizes both drives, but only one of them is being registered to work.. and the drive that I am currently using is set to master, so I'm not sure..

I am using Windows XP Pro.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Re: Slave Drive Not Being Detected

Hi,
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. Is each HDD connected to two IDE cables? That's impossible! Why do you have both drives configured as slaves? Could you please clarify this a little... Finally - did you format the drive that doesn't work?

Nicholas

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Hi,
Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. Is each HDD connected to two IDE cables? That's impossible! Why do you have both drives configured as slaves? Could you please clarify this a little... Finally - did you format the drive that doesn't work?

Nicholas

Sorry for being unclear. I do not have the usual one IDE cable connecting both drives instead, I have two seperate IDE cables. One cable connecting one drive as a MASTER and another cable connecting the second drive as a slave.

I hope that's clearer... Also, no I did not format the drive that doesn't work. How can I do so?

·
Registered
23,001 Posts

So - the drive that doesn't work has never been formatted? You can format it in Disk manager. Right-click the drive and choose format. Feel free to ask if you need more precise instructions.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts

windows will not see the drive until it is formatted
the h/d are usually installed into the box alongside one another
with master on the top and the slave underneath,sometimes for convience a single drive is put in the bottom position and when you fit the second drive you have to lift it up so as to fit the second drive underneath
if the cable is to short just pick up a longer cable and use the secondy ide for cd/dvd drives

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

windows will not see the drive until it is formatted
the h/d are usually installed into the box alongside one another
with master on the top and the slave underneath,sometimes for convience a single drive is put in the bottom position and when you fit the second drive you have to lift it up so as to fit the second drive underneath
if the cable is to short just pick up a longer cable and use the secondy ide for cd/dvd drives
yeah that's exactly what I did. I just don't know how to format it now :/

·
Registered
23,001 Posts

Sorry I called it disk manager - it is disk management.
Right-click My computer > manage > disk management > right-click the drive you want to format and choose 'new partition' > follow the wizard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.