Tech Support banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows 7 shutdown has been hanging for over half-an-hour. It's been this way for more than a week, perhaps two.

After much trial-and-error troubleshooting in MSCONFIG, I determined that if I simply "Quit" Skype before initiating the shutdown, it's fine.

(Far be it from me to speculate that MS did this on purpose to motivate people to abandon Windows 7 who are holding on, but it was exactly that kind of speculation that led me to even try quitting Skype in the first place to see if it resolved it. Who else would have both the motivation and ability to pull off that trick besides MS, and what better way than with a common app like Skype? Of course, the fact that Skype currently stays full-screen after reboot even when the settings tell it to minimize did help to call my attention to it being suspect.)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In Skype, go to Tools/Options/General Settings/ and uncheck Start Skype with Windows. If you don't use it, you can Uninstall it. If you want, you can re download it again
Thanks. I'm aware. But I do use it sometimes, and sometimes contacts from overseas reach out to me with it, sometimes to do a spur-of-the-moment video call. There's no problem having it sitting there in the systray -- doesn't bother anything.

There is a problem with it causing shutdowns to hang, however. It's not a "forever" hang, but when it surpasses 30 minutes, well, that's pretty bad. (Even 3 minutes would be bad.)

Besides it interrupting my ability to do my work, a few days ago we had a power failure and I was unable to do a proper shutdown of Windows within the 20 minutes or so that my battery backup lasted. Not good! I was lucky that a manual power-off of the machine didn't corrupt Windows.

At least now I know what to do about it. And if I forget, I can hit Cancel on the hung shutdown screen, "Quit" Skype, and then do the shutdown.

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
Disabling it from starting with Windows doesn't uninstall the app, you can start it manually when you need it.
Uninstalling and Reinstalling will probably fix your issue, but you found an answer, so that will work too.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disabling it from starting with Windows doesn't uninstall the app, you can start it manually when you need it.
Uninstalling and Reinstalling will probably fix your issue, but you found an answer, so that will work too.
Thank you again.

I'm familiar with being able to manually launch it, but others reaching out to me in real time wouldn't give me the immediate notice that I want.

It's really no problem for me now that I know to close it before doing a shutdown.

I really only created this thread to notify others who might be having the same trouble that Skype is a likely cause, that's all.

I may try to unintall and reinstall anyway, though. Good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts