Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vetustior Humo
11,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently decided to turn an older computer into a music server to store my CD collection. I've begun to rip them to MP3 using 198 kbs setting (higher resolution would use too much disk space as I've got 1000 or so CDs).

I'm using the onboard sound head phone output wired to my stereo.

My problem is that occasionally and sporadically the music will skip pretty badly.

The computer is a Compaq 900 MHz, P3, running XP Home w/ SP2, 630 MB memory, the storage drive is a new WD 120 GB 7200 rpm drive. I’m using Win Media Player 10.

Would a dedicated sound card help? More memory? Higher rip speed? :4-dontkno

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Your specs should be enough if you're just using it as a jukebox. Have you got any other programs running in the background?

See if running Defrag helps.

A soundcard would definitely improve things by taking the workload off the CPU, and more memory wouldn't do any harm, but you should be OK with 630MB.

I've got a similar setup using an AthlonXP1500, 512MB and WinME, no problems. So I guess installing a PCI soundcard is worth a try.

btw, if you're low on HD space, dropping the setting to 160kbs won't affect the sound quality too much. But if you're making a permanent archive of your CD collection, then 256/320kbs would be preferable.

1000 CDs? That's gonna take a while :smile:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this same problem with my system. P4 2.8 GHz 768MB RAM. Onbaord audio. Whenever the hard drive would "work" transferring files or whatever, it would skip. I first tried dedicating 4MB of memory to the onboard audio's IRQ. That seemed to help a little but i still got the skips here and there. So I disabled the onboard audio and installed an old SoundBlaster pci card i had from an older computer. Never had the skips again. Hope this helps.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
ntuhlekt said:
I had this same problem with my system. P4 2.8 GHz 768MB RAM. Onbaord audio. Whenever the hard drive would "work" transferring files or whatever, it would skip. I first tried dedicating 4MB of memory to the onboard audio's IRQ. That seemed to help a little but i still got the skips here and there. So I disabled the onboard audio and installed an old SoundBlaster pci card i had from an older computer. Never had the skips again. Hope this helps.
this is the exact same thing i encountered with a motherboard using the ac'97 onboard sound card.

i disabled it, and i am using a really really old pci soundblaster, and my skips went away too.

for what it's worth, i never got the skips while playing games, anytime i was playing music i did, and sometimes the windows sounds would skip too.

so, i would agree that a different sound card might totally solve this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.