Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sizing Flash Drives

SOLVED 
2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Herefordian 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I recently downloaded Linux Mint to 16Gb and also to an 8Gb flash drives. I couldn't get them to down load so reformatted them [to get rid of Linux] I now find that the 16Gb disk drive shows as 1.8Gb in My Computer page but the full amount in Disk manager. The 8Gb flash drive shows 1.8Gb and 8Gb respectively. [see attachments]

I assume that I should not have deleted Linux this way but how do I get back my storage?

Not sure whether this thread should be in the Linux Forum?

Tony:uhoh:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You can use DiskPart to wipe the drives and partition them afresh. To do this, open an elevated Command Prompt, connect one of the flash drives or both if you want, then run the following commands;

Code:
DISKPART

LIST DISK
Take note of the disk numbers of the flash drive(s). You will be able to identify them by their sizes and device names.

Code:
SELECT DISK #
Where # is the disk number of a flash drive as displayed by the previous command. Take utmost care here because selecting the wrong drive can lead to data loss! For example, if the 16GB drive is listed as number 1, then run SELECT DISK 1. Likewise, if the 8GB drive is listed as number 2, run SELECT DISK 2. You will get a message saying the drive is now the selected disk. Next, run:

Code:
CLEAN
This wipes the selected drive.

Code:
CONVERT MBR

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

FORMAT FS=FAT32 QUICK LABEL=WhateverYouWant

ASSIGN
This will assign the newly created partition a drive letter, making it visible in This PC. Replace the label "WhateverYouWant" with whatever you would like to name the drives.
Run all of the above commands for both drives and you'll be good to go. Each drive will have a fresh partition that occupies all of its capacity.

To close DiskPart, simply run:

Code:
EXIT
and a second EXIT to quit Command Prompt.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Joeten, Don't know. When hoping to get rid of Linux on these I just opted for the default!.

Linux successfully downloaded from CD. I chose this OS so that I could run Cumulus Weather https://cumuluswiki.wxforum.net/a/Software as W10 would not accept data via my RS232. I now find that I cannot get Cumulus to be accepted on Linux!

Ah well.

Tony

Moderator Edited to point to the correct website for Cumulus Weather. Initial link lead to some shady indian website!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.