Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm going to install a fresh install of windows tomorrow. is it better put windows on its own drive, and install a couple other drives for music and pictures and what not? or should i not worry about it and just install everything on the same drive? if i want to separate these drives, how do i do it when installing windows so that it doesn't take up too much memory?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
using multiple drives does not take up more memory

there are many benefits to have multiple drives, one drive with windows on it (boot drive) and other drive for programs and music or even music on its own drive

the more drives you have the better the data back-up methods can be

IMHO the worst configuration is a single drive!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Agreed. Even if you only have a relatively small hard disk the benefits of having two or more partitions is still there for you. I always partition a single drive (sometimes in two and often into three). The advantages are many but include the reduced likelyhood of data loss if the data is stored on another partiton. I set my own machine up so that things like the browser cache, mail, my documents (and pictures), favorites and address book are all stored on the second partition. That way, if I have to reinstall Windows I don't have to tear my hair out trying to decide what to backup - it's already still present on the second partition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.