Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have myself a problem and was wondering if someone could help me out.
New here so I apologize either if this has already been covered or if this is the wrong place to ask.
Anyway here goes:
I have a wl-153 Sitecom wireless router setup and ideally it should have only one wireless client - me. Thing is, in the DHCP page of the router's setup sometimes another mac adress appears besides mine, as if someone else is also using my internet connection.
This shouldn't happen because:
1- I'm using wpa2(aes) with a not-so-obvious pw
2- His mac address is on the filters list of unwanted mac addresses
3- My mac address is the only one in the allowed mac address list
Any ideas how he's getting through and how I can stop him?
Last but not least I can limit the wireless IPs to 2 (192.168.100 - 192.168.101 for instance) but not to one. I tried this since it would pretty much solve my problem but the router's setup won't let me.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,024 Posts
If you have WPA2 and MAC filtering enabled and there's another IP address appearing, it's probably directly connected to the wired portion of the router.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First and foremost thank you for your reply.
Indeed that is supposed to be the case. Two computers using the same router, one wired and the other (mine) wireless. Since I was the one who actually set up the connection and I'm pretty sure I never came across that mac number (actually I wasn't even aware that those lan cards had a mac of their own, I thought only wireless did) I found it odd that it should appear even after I switched from wep to wpa2 and again when I changed my wpa2 password.
Hoping that is the case I'll try to get both computers on at the same time and confirm if I was having intruder problems or not. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.