Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, am helping a woman who cant afford to pay anyone to fix her comp. Every man and his dog has had a go at fixing this poor thing. :rolleyes:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Personal
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A, 2400 MHz

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset SiS 650

Memory Slots:
DRAM Slot #1 256 MB (DDR SDRAM)

AGP Properties:
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x

Display:
Video Adapter SiS 315
3D Accelerator SiS 315

The problem here is the device manager shows under display to be a Sis 650_651_M650_M652_740 and the comp is very happy with it until you try to play any kids cd games. It then resets to 640x480 and stays there. If you try to adjust it the screen just rolls.
Downloaded this one http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/sis650.html and this one http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/sisagp.html
If I try to load the sis315 drivers it has a fit, any ideas?

P

·
0 Posts
What about the monitor ? Sounds like you have an older one. What kind of monitor do you have ?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everest says the same as Aida32
Display:
Video Adapter SiS 315
3D Accelerator SiS 315

I ran dxdiag and it reports the sis 650_650GL_650GX_651 (slightly different numbers?) no problems. Same with direct draw, no problems.
Direct 3D tested 7 & 8 fine but 9 looked like the screen had been split into 4 panels, each with the same test and horizontal lines through it?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, unfortunately. The machine went in under warranty for ram failure and came back like this, missing drivers, no dial up option, display tabs missing, no audio output. She had such a battle with the repairer she gave up after the warranty expired. The comp sat in the corner for the last 3 months, hardly being used.
I've managed to fix everything but video. I think the only other option would be to get a decent video card and disable onboard?

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
try an old card before buying to check if it is the onboard chip or something else
reinstall directx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.