Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on Single & Dual core processors for gaming and after all I've read it seems that single core comes out on top because all the processor's power is devoted to ONE thing (gaming in this instance) as opposed to dual core where it divides its power between multiple applications at the same time.

So basically all I want to know is would a powerful single core processor (3.2Ghz) be better for gaming than a dual core processor (2.8Ghz)?

HK

·
Registered
88 Posts
Where have you been reading? I had a 3.2 ghz pentium 4 single core that didn't even begin to compare to the 3.2 ghz pentium D that i have now. On a dual core processor, one core (processor) is devoted to the active application (game) and the other core (processor) is devoted to background system tasks.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
Actually, running games on dual-core can be more beneficial. Since one core can handle things like OS requests and other background tasks, the other can dedicate itself to your gaming fun. If you're using an AMD you'll want the latest patch for it as it'll optimize perfomance.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
If the game is multi-threaded (designed for dual-core), using a dual-core CPU can give you up to an 80% increase in performance over a single-core (depending on the CPU, other system components, and the game of course). Most of the older and current games aren't optimised for dual-core, but almost all of the new games will be. Quite a few of the current games also have patches available which make them multi-threaded.

My advice: get a dual-core.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.