Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the 22H2 update, all worked fine. I pressed as usual on the "Safely eject" button, and it was ejected as intended.
After installing the 22H2 update, it doesn't work anymore. It gives me the error "Windows can't stop your 'Volume' device because a program is still using it".

I tried all the obvious ways to eject it, but since the update, I can only eject after a restart, which is no solution to me. I can't always restart my whole Computer, just to safely eject a little USB Drive, that's ridicilous.

So the main question here is: What changed? Why is that now, and how can I fix it?

· Global Moderator
Using Google to solve problems
44,278 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the introduction of Quick Removal, it is no longer necessary to use the Safely Remove Icon
Can not eject

If you still prefer Safely Remove, here are some other choices 7 Ways to Remove an External USB Drive in Windows 11
Great informations right there. So in future I will just disconnect the device.
I recently got somewhat disappointed with some features that came to Windows, but that Quick Removal thing reminded me, that still really good features are being added constantly.

· Registered
118 Posts
Before the 22H2 update, all worked fine. I pressed as usual on the "Safely eject" button, and it was ejected as intended.
After installing the 22H2 update, it doesn't work anymore. It gives me the error "Windows can't stop your 'Volume' device because a program is still using it".

I tried all the obvious ways to eject it, but since the update, I can only eject after a restart, which is no solution to me. I can't always restart my whole Computer, just to safely eject a little USB Drive, that's ridicilous.

So the main question here is: What changed? Why is that now, and how can I fix it?
Same problem in Win 10 21H2. No idea what MS did to break this.

· Registered
5,469 Posts
Great way to corrupt flash drives.
I'm not sure that some people are understanding here that both Win 11 and Win 10 now employ the quick removal policy for all USB devices by default. Only if you have manually changed your removal policy back to "better performance" will you need to eject your devices before removing them.

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

· Registered
118 Posts
I always set Quick Remove. But apparently there is a bug in 10 and 11 that doesn't seem to care. Much of the time in recent months, only safe way to remove some USB devices is to do a shutdown. Otherwise, there is an enhanced risk for corrupting contacts and file system on external storage.

For me, making things worse for a while was a cloud storage app from a major cell phone company - it wasn't bad enough that it didn't work reliably, if it hits a network interruption, even though not logged in, it can cause external USB storage problems. I get the connection, but it is a real PITA.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts