Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a issue related to the Sims 2 game. I'm not sure if you guys will be able to help me though, but I have a short video of the issue. Basically, all the walls and objects on the screen vanish for a split second, then reappear; almost every time I move the camera or buy something. It's very distracting.

YouTube - Sims 2 Graphical Glitch

I've overclocked the card a bit, but since found no errors with my settings in any other game. I tuned it back a little and the issue still occurs. I turned down all the graphical settings in the game to low and it STILL occurs. I tried patching the game and the expansion it still occurs. It's driving me insane. xD

I've reached the conclusion that it must be my drivers. I'm using the latest 9.4 drivers for this card, should I revert back? Also, what exactly do I need to do if I did revert back? How do you uninstall old drivers if that's necessary first?

Thanks!

·
Hardware Team , Games Team
4,651 Posts
Hi Exavion the first thing to do is to remove the overclock on your card to see if the problem goes away. Even if its a stable OC some games dont like hardware thats OCed.
Can you also post your System specs.

Also its always good to try different drivers, i find if i have a problem go back to a driver thats dated something like 6months ago is worth a try.

And finally Sims2 will auto hide objects if they are blocking the view of the player. Like if your trying to lay some new carpet down the sofas disappear when you get close.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Karlos, thanks for the reply.

I reset my card back to default settings and tried it again just now, but the graphical issue still happened.

It's a fairly new computer. I'm on an E2180 Intel dual core at 2.0 GHz, with 2 GB of DDR2 RAM at 667 MHz (Single channel according to CPU-Z, not sure why... my MOBO supports dual channel RAM) and a sapphire HD 4830 512 MB DDR3 RAM GPU, on a custom vortex Windows XP 32 bit Service pack 3 OS (on a Seagate 160 GB 7200 RPM HDD).

It's all on an XFX Nforce 630i Motherboard (I know it was a bad choice because I can't go crossfire down the road, but live and learn right?), and powered by an Ultra LS500 Watt PSU.

Yeah, I figured trying my old drivers may help, but I've never reverted back to old ones. What do I need to know?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, a lot of people have said that I don't have enough amps on the 12 volt rail. I never knew about em before.

However, if it's my PSU, why is it that bugs like this only happen in the sims 2? In other games like Company of Heroes or Call of duty 4, they run surprisingly smoothly.

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
9,133 Posts
Some games may not need as much of one piece of hardware, making the power draw lower, or the game engine is so well designed it doesn't draw much of anything.
For example: My Dawn of War makes my PC crank up quite a bit, buy my system CLEARLY can run that game, but a game like Crysis will not run my computer so hot.

I strongly suggest getting a new PSU, most notably the one I selected.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking of upgrading my PSU anyhow, so I guess I will when I get the cash for it. I certainly hope it's the cause. It likely is, as I can't think of anything else now. I tried downgrading my drivers. Still no success.

Thanks.

·
TSF - Enthusiast
12,841 Posts
With that System I expect you to have 2x GTX 295's 2 quad cores 8 or so HDD's around 32GB of ram (this is all possible)

Anyways to answer your question a PSU only pulls power according to what your PC components need.

I would say to future proof yourself get a Corsair 850w or a Corsair 1000w

Corsair 1000w
$240
after rebate $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139007

Corsair 850w (that'll let you run a GTX 295)

Corsair 850w
$150
after rebate $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

I congrats you on showing me the best PSU I have EVER seen! Its overkill and you won't need it. It is extremely awesome though with a single 12v rail @ 117A

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well not only is that single rail truly epic, but what else I love about it is that you plug the cords into the PSU, they're not jumbled out from inside. That's just awesome, it will make everything far easier to manage and look better. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again, future proof. The great thing about this PSU is that I'll be able to use it even in 4-5 years from now if I make another computer, as well, there's NOTHING that will challenge it in terms of single hardware pieces, so I never have to worry about it for a long, long time. Just seems worth it.

It's also marked down from 700$ to 400$. Just seems fitting. ^_^

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
9,133 Posts
My PC was $3,600, and I consider it to be a PC of 'epic proportions' but I only have a 1000W PSU and I have no problems.

And this is BEFORE the $600+ Upgrades I already put into it and more upgrades in the future (well I am getting $400 of upgrades this week)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha, I know I know, there's nothing for personal desktop use that could challenge that 1,600 Watt PSU. But the point is, it's a bargain considering it will last me for at least half a decade and probably more. ^_^

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
9,133 Posts
Okay first of all, it's not a recommended brand, so the quality is garbage. Second, anything above 1200W is probably unstable.

I think 4 295GTXes or 4 4870X2 and 32 or 64 GB of DDR3 Ram, with TWO Core i7 965's and like 17 fans and liquid cooling will probably keep a 1600W PSU on it's toes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.