Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys, I should probably know this but what is the simplest way to transfer a large amount of data from one pc to another. Say that you dont have a network set up to do this, or you dont have a dvd or cd burner. just 2 ethernet cards and a cat5.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
simplest way i would think would be to set up a small home network. and use file sharing, but since u are using windows, i would disconnect from the internet while doing this because File and Printer Sharing is one of the easiest exploits a hacker can use to gain control of a box. but if you are doing it for a short term period have at it. here check this out. it might work for you.

http://www.ezlan.net/basic.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
easiest way would be to use windows network wizard or even simpler connbect the PC's together and then just right click the folder u want to share and click on sharing and create a schare and visit it in IE //ipaddress/sharename

ipaddress can be found by:
start > run > type "cmd" take away the " > ipconfig > look at what it says next to ipaddress

good luck :sayyes:

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
Nemesis said:
Say that you dont have a network set up to do this, or you dont have a dvd or cd burner. just 2 ethernet cards and a cat5.

unfortunately, a single cat 5 cable will not work.

you will either need 2 cat5 cables, and a hub, or you will need a crossover cat5 cable.

no clue why noone mentioned that.

·
Registered
604 Posts
WaltSide said:
unfortunately, a single cat 5 cable will not work.

you will either need 2 cat5 cables, and a hub, or you will need a crossover cat5 cable.
It quite easy to rewire a cat5 into a crossover cat5 :p. I just joking it would be cheaper to just buy a crossover cat 5 unless he happen to already own the tools needed(rj45 end and a Rj45 crimper) to turn it into a cross over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.