Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a CPU you obviously have what kind it is and etc. But what does it all mean? Such as my CPU reads this:
AMD Athlon 2500+ MMX, 3DNow ~1.8Ghz
^^^^^^^
That is the name.

Could some one fill in the rest..?
-blitze

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
AMD=advanced micro devices the manufacturer.
2500+ is a model# and used as a performance comparison to other processors.
MMX means multimedia extensions, 3Dnow is a trademark graphics extension by AMD.
1.8Ghz=1.8gigahertz or 1.8 billion cycles per second,which is the clock speed the processor runs at.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you, but i have one more question if you do not mind...

1.8Ghz, i know it's cycles per second (now) but would that mean the higher the better? Or is it saying how long it takes? Sorry.. just wanna make sure. (im building a new computer soon i think/hope)
-blitze

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
1.8Ghz, i know it's cycles per second (now) but would that mean the higher the better?
Higher cycles per second means it gets more done in a second. So holding everything else the same, higher cycles per second (usually called the CPU clock rate) means faster. A 2.0GHz Athlon XP is somewhat quicker than a 1.8GHz Athlon XP of the same kind. But you can't compare clock rates between different CPUs. My Pentium 4 at 3.2GHz would be much slower than an Athlon XP running at 3.2GHz if there was such a thing. You can only compare clock rates for a given kind of CPU. CPUs get different amounts of work done per clock so they're not directly comparable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.