Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im considering buying a 300gb maxtor diamondmax sata lead free.
there is the spec

Product Description Maxtor DiamondMax 10 - hard drive - 300 GB - ATA-133
Type Hard drive - internal
Form Factor 3.5" x 1/3H
Dimensions (WxDxH) 10.2 cm x 14.7 cm x 2.6 cm
Weight 0.6 kg
Capacity 300 GB
Interface Type ATA-133
Connector 40 PIN IDC
Data Transfer Rate 133 MBps
Average Seek Time 9 ms
Spindle Speed 7200 rpm
Buffer Size 16 MB
Stockcode HAR300MAXSA72L
Manufacturer Maxtor
Last Updated 5/13/2005 1:06:49 PM
1st Class Del No
Manufacturer Code 6L300S0
On Offer Yes

1) what does it mean by "lead free"?
2) what is the peoples opinion of it.

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
For IDE I don't like Maxtor. My friend's PC has a Maxtor SATA drive and it's been working great for the past two years. I prefer WD for both IDE and SATA use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lead free means that it is RoHS (restriction of Haz Substances act)compatable, it meats the European hazardous materials laws effective July 06. This requires the use of lead free solder. This is a misguided law pushed in Europe as it requires the use of other just as toxic substances and makes the electronic componnent more expensive to make and slightly less reliable. Lead free solders have to be heated to 18 degrees C higher and therefore the componnents have a higher chance of being heat damaged during assembly. Lead free solders are not as ductile therefore there is a higher possiability of a stress fracture in the solder joints.

In any case it has nothing to do with the performance of the drive.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
This is a misguided law pushed in Europe as it requires the use of other just as toxic substances
this is debatable..lead is bad...solder for potable water pipes and now for even heating systems are required to be assembled using lead free solder.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Nice explanation Baer. I think the actuality of the dangers are about six of one and a half dozen of the other. We constantly in this country and Europe say something is terrible and then later discover the supposed fix is as bad or worse than the original problem.

Therefore, the debatable that Whosdat is quoting. So, we calls it "Whoknows" from "Whosdat" which might be correct.

Anyway, wanted to compliment you for the explanation of this issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.