Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's pretty obvious to me that plugging in a case fan when
the case is being run open (which I do to change drives with different operating systems) is superfluous.

I'm less sure about unplugging the fan header for the
power supply. I've never known a power supply
to run hot. It's cool to the touch. While I'm running
open what's the necessity of having a power supply fan?

Of course I have cpu fan and that little guy runs nice and
quiet and I don't intend to mess with that one.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
there is a set of transitors that handle the regulation of the outputs, and these tend to run hot.

inside the power supply, there is a heatsink, and these transistors are attached to it.

the fan blows across them to keep them cool.

now you ask, does the fan need to be there?

not until you reach higher end loads.

but, when you reach those loads, you are going to wish there was a fan.

the problem is, there's no way to find where too hot is, because the moment you get to too hot, it's going to instantly fail.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. By running hot do you mean overclocking to produce
a big load? I think I'd just unplug the case fan and see if
that gets rid of annoying high pitched tone that is
coming from the setup. Even as an old man I can hear
those tones they use to test your hearing. :-/

And shop lights. Don 't get me started about flourescent
shop lights.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
@ loninappleton
Waltside is absolutely correct. It is highly recommended to NOT try to run a fanned PSU fanless. Depending on the PSU you have, you can reach high load temps without OCing by just heavy usage.
You can try a fan swap. I have done so using a temperature-controlled fan(usually 80mm) that just ramps up(~2500RPM) when things get hot and runs slow and quiet(~1000) when cool. I taped off the old wires and ran the 3-pin connector out of the PSU and attached to a MB header. I also removed the restrictive stamped-steel fangrill and installed a less-restrictive wire version. You can also attempt a hardwired solution described at SilentPCReview. They also have a nice section on recommended quiet PSU's. You might enjoy poking around there for some quieting tips...they are the BEST! :sayyes:

Can't help ya with the lights :4-dontkno

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
There are makers of fanless PSU's too / i am sure they are a few $$$$ more than the fan cooled versions ~~ depends how much quiet means to you ?????

@ Please has the right approach ~~ research a replacement PSU that has ultra quiet specs

pay attention to the Silverstone = passive cooling ~ but limited to 350 watt ~~~ yuck no good for a P4

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?pg=7

@ Please / ROFL cant help you with the lights LOL

regards

joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.