Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
I recently purchased Siig's USB Soundwave Optical 5.1 device. When i plug it in the USB, "SPDIF" appears in the list of audio devices under control panel. However when I select it, i see only a 2 speaker configuration. When i test the configuration, I can hear the sound alternately coming out of only the two front speakers. The home theater also shows that only L & R channels are available. Basically, windows thinks tht its a stereo device. I also have a Bost Companion 5, 5.1 channel system and windows correctly detects that as 5.1 usb device and i can see 6 speakers in the configuration.

does some1 know what can be wrong here?

thanks,

regards,
texen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't see any such arrow ? I opened every screen thats there for audio devices under control panel and I do not see a 6 channel option anywhere. Both 'configure' and 'properties' for this device show only 2 speakers or 2 channels. I'm convinced that this is only a stereo sound card and I've been duped by misleading marketting ! .. very bad.. i'm going to give it the review it deserves. Please let me know if i am wrong about it.

I've uploaded the screenshot of my speaker configuration screen here: http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/430/stereo.png

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Let me ask you another question here real quick,

How do you have it hooked up?

The analog cable goes to your pc.
The optical cable will go to a reciever or a decoder.
The usb cable will go to your pc.

Note: analog will produce only 2 stereo speakers or headphones sound only.

Did you install the driver for this device from the cd?

Im sorry, just double checking this to make sure you have this installed correctly before we jump to conclusions that the device is not working correctly.

ALso if you have hooked up this way you should be getting 5.1 surround coming out of the pc through the reciever or decoder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

One thing that I figured out it is indeed only a stereo sound card. It provides the SPDIF port that can pas thru 5.1 codecs like dolby, dts or WMA. Its this pass thru process that is failing and that is why I do not get the 5.1 output.

I didn't install any driver from any CD as one is not available. The product document says that the driver is supposed to be built into windows.

I've posted a screen shot of the error that I am getting here: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4362/siigtrouble.png

any clues ?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Ok heres what I found out based on the above:

For: Bost Companion 5, 5.1 channel system

Fristly, You need to use the USB connection to provide audio processing for 5.1 digital sources, this will automatically give you 5.1 surround effects.
If you connected the audio output jack on your computer to the input on your
Companion 5 control pod, using a 1/8-inch-stereo-male-to-1/8-inch-stereo-male audio cable.
Only two channels of audio are going to be delivered through the control pod input.

For: Siig's USB Soundwave Optical 5.1 device

Analog - connects to decoder/receiver/amplifier. (dont need this connected)
USB connection - connect to pc.
Optical - connect to decoder/receiver/amplifier - thus this is whats going to give you the 5, 5.1 surround sound effects, note through the decoder/receiver/amplifier.

Go here and read this under XP and later:

http://owners.bose.com/controller?e...s/setup/connecting_system_and_audio_setup.jsp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, let me clarify.

The Bose system is out of consideration now. I just mentioned about it as an example. I've only the SIIG Soundwave Optical 5.1 connected. I've concluded that it's a stereo sound card, so I am going to see only two channels in its properties. However, it provides an SPDIF interface to the system. According to the specs of the product, this SPDIF interface can passthru DTS and Dolby 5.1 channel codecs, ie. when I play my DVDs that have Dolby sound, I should get 5.1 channels on my home theatre system. However this doesn't seem to happen. When I play dolby 5.1 channel DVDs I get only 2 channels on SPDIF out. This is what is wrong !

Additionally, when I goto properties for this card, there's a tab where I can select the encoded formats supported by the card ie. the formats that the card can pass-thru as 5.1 channels. I select Dolby and DTS and then when I click Test, windows fails and gives me an error as shown in the screenshot here: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4362/siigtrouble.png

any clues?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
USB SoundWave Optical 5.1,
External USB to Optical 5.1 sound box. Receives input from your PC’s USB port and outputs high quality digital sound through the Toslink optical port.

I took this heading off of the siig product itself from my link to it and another one below.

•Allows you to play DVDs on your PC and send Dolby Digital or DTS Surround Sound data (DD/DTS Pass Thru) to your decoder/receiver/amplifier for a truly amazing home theater experience.

If you have it hooked up properly may I suggest to you to return it and get a another one, it could be defective, electronic items are know to be defective sometimes even bran new.

Note: the card itself will not pass thru, unless the optical cable is hooked up to a (decoder/receiver/amplifier) and from here to speakers, otherwise you will not get
5.1 digital surround sound, if you have hooked up this way, then return the item for another one, its defective.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Ok try this, after its all hooked up, Im assuming you have it hooked up still.

1. Unplug the usb plug only from your pc that goes to the siig, now reboot pc,
(leave all other plugs connected to it except for usb plug).

2. Disable any antivirus and antispyware programs you have running on the pc.

after the pc is fully booted up then plug the usb cord back into the pc, it should load back up all the devices to it for the usb ports. may take it a couple minutes to complete the procedure, after it has fully finished loading the devices, (dont touch any adjustments yet), reboot pc again and see that it is installed properly in the device manager, so go to device manager and check for any yellow ! marks.
post back with any problems you see in the device manager please.
If no yellow ! marks ? now adjust it.

Do you get 5.1 surround sound now??? if not I would say the device is defective, return it.

Note: sometimes when hooking up electronics devices to pc, they dont quite seat themselves properly to enable full function of the device or product so it is necessary to do the above procedure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok try this, after its all hooked up, Im assuming you have it hooked up still.

1. Unplug the usb plug only from your pc that goes to the siig, now reboot pc,
(leave all other plugs connected to it except for usb plug).

2. Disable any antivirus and antispyware programs you have running on the pc.

after the pc is fully booted up then plug the usb cord back into the pc, it should load back up all the devices to it for the usb ports. may take it a couple minutes to complete the procedure, after it has fully finished loading the devices, (dont touch any adjustments yet), reboot pc again and see that it is installed properly in the device manager, so go to device manager and check for any yellow ! marks.
post back with any problems you see in the device manager please.
If no yellow ! marks ? now adjust it.

Do you get 5.1 surround sound now??? if not I would say the device is defective, return it.

Note: sometimes when hooking up electronics devices to pc, they dont quite seat themselves properly to enable full function of the device or product so it is necessary to do the above procedure.
I tired these steps, but no luck. Windows still fails to play those encoded formats and I do not get any 5.1 when I play my 5.1 dolby DVDs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do not have an external USB device like you, but I do have a SIIG internal.

I had the same issue until I located the owners manual were it stated:

"Speaker test works
with speakers connected into the G9 DIN audio
connector only. Speaker Test not intended for
Optical S/PDIF or surround sound speakers
operating through a digital decoder box.

Source:http://www.siig.com/Files/Manuals/0004/04-0456a.pdf

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,884 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but what media player are you using for playback. In WinDVD, for instance, the default is stereo output, you have to select S/PDIF output.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.