Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have taken a look at a friend's computer that is not booting up. Doesn`t even look like it posts. Anyway, I thought at first that it may be a hardware conflict because sometimes that does stop POSTS, disconnected all other hardware...no go. Then I swapped out the video card for one I know works...no go. I took out all PCI cards except for 1 that wouldn`t come out due to a warped screw and still no go. There was a ton of dust on the CPU and in the entire case. I just noticed that the HDD is constantly on and there are 0 Post beeps.

I am thinking that it may be a bad processor but am not sure. Seems like I learned in A+ that if the HDD light is constantly on it can be a sign of CPU failure or that the cable is just connected wrong. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Take it out of the case, place it on a piece of cardboard (or other non-conductive surface) and connect only the ATX connector, the Off/On switch, the Heatsink Fan to the motherboard, the ATX 12v molex and one stick of memory. Turn power to it and see if it comes on or beeps. If it does, then add something.....if not, then take out the memory and see if it beeps. If it does not, it has to be either the power supply or the motherboard as I see this issue.

Might be a good idea to tell us what the specs are, like what motherboard and other components. Also, it would help if we knew the make and model of power supply with the watts.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I took it back to her house already.
I know it had
A Gigabyte GA-8SG800 Mobo.
Intel Pentium 4
PC2100 Ram
PC3200 (512mb)
Geforce 4 AGP (don`t remember model)
Nic
Modem
Sound Card

I could try doing that I could have also tried reseating the CPU for the heck of it but I didn`t.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.