Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

As captioned, I got a new 6600PE(400/800).

In 2K (Nv driver 7772) it runs fine with Doom3, Serious Sam, Quake3.

Yet "signal out of range" black screens appear in XP (and hanges the PC), when copying files, or running 3D applications.
Changing to 16bit, 60Hz has no improvement.
Changing to Nv driver 7777 has no improvement.
Slowing AGP8X to 4X seems no improvement.

Apart from cleaning all former drivers and install Nv driver 7777 again, what more can I try?

At least the card works in 2K, means it shouldn't be hardware problem, I guess.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More:

I just uninstalled any drivers/ATI panels in Add/Remove Program, cleaned up old ATI and Nv drivers using the Driver Cleaner Pro, and in safe mode installed the Nv 7777 driver.

But rebooting it hanged again with "Signal out of range" black screen when just reaching the desktop after logon.

So anyone can kindly help? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
uninstall the card from the device manager
reboot tapping f8 and choose vga mode
when windows finishes reinstalling the card
disable a/virus
install your drivers
reboot the computer
then come back with the results

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dai, will try the "vga mode method" later...
one question, what is the difference of "reinstalling the card" and "install your drivers" ?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
when windows reinstalls the card after it has been removed from the device manager,starting in vga mode stops windows from installing it's version of the driver
which let's you clean install the driver you want to install and avoids conflicting drivers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello TSF,

When I completed installing in vga mode and rebooted the PC, once the desktop had been loaded the black screen SOOR came back. I think to reinstall the XP is my next step... right?

The GF6600PE card can run many 3D applications smoothly in 2K and it only abended once quiting from Battlefield 2. If running in 2K is overall normal, I hope reinstalling the XP OS shall make the card work as normal as in 2K.

Any advice are welcome, thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes. booting to 2k in HD A and found it runs basically normal, at least no "signal of our range" screens and can enter many 3D applications.

Yet in the xp in HD B the SOOR screens appear so often that even usual file handling may be discrupted.

Strange to say, the change of mobo and CPU from athlon 1700+ to celeron D 2.6 causes virtually no impact on the 2K.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
if you have changed the m/b and then put the drives in you are lucky anything is running,run a repair install on xp

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just b4 I tried to install a new XP in the original partition containing the old XP.

In the 1st install, blue screen came saying "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT".

In the 2nd install, blue screen came saying "IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL" sth like that.

In the 3rd install, could reach Regional setting/input method selection, I thought this time is lucky... until after all things installed and when it was near the moment to restart, the blue screen "IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL" came!!

Oh no... but strange to say, if that was due to problem in the RAMs that failed the installation of XP, why under the currently properly functioning 2K the blue screens did not appear?? ... (same set of RAMs used: 512M + 256M)

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
xp is a lot more demanding of ram than previous op. systems and it looks like vista the next one is going to up it again

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After picking out the 2700 ram from the combination of a 2700 + 3200, I suceeded in installing XP. Your theory of ram "selection" should be true. Thank TSF for your help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.