Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer was long overdue for a cleaning so I decided to remove a side from my case to clean out the dust inside my computer. I unplugged my computer and switched the power supply off just to be on the safe side of things. After a light cleaning (wiping the dust off the bottom of the case with a dry paper towel), I put the case back on. I plugged my computer back in and tried to turn it on. It powered up for roughly one second until the PSU turned off. I tried to think of what was happening until I got a sickening feeling in my stomach. I tested the screwdriver I used to take off the case screws and found out, confirming my worst fears, its magnetic.

I've been planning on buying all new parts already (new CPU, mobo, PSU, RAM, VC) so if worse comes to worse I can replace those. However Im worried about my HD, I havn't backed up any data and I was planning on keeping that (along with my case). So did I screw myself? If so, how bad?

·
Registered
16 Posts
If those panel screws are all that the magnetic screwdriver touched you shouldn't be hurt by that. You may have disturbed a wiring connection,turn off power, go back in, look for a dissconnected plug and check tightness of evry plug. In future if you want to clean, use a real soft brush and low pressure air. The output of a vacuum cleaner works or a portable fan blowing on the computer innards while you brush inside areaas very lightly with the soft brush. Check tightness of all connectors after each time you do this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.