Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed its quite a common problem issued here. Im sorry if I should have asked in those threads, but im not sure if i have the same exact problem. I got a little confused to

Anyway, my computer seems to shut itself very recently, but its not completely off cause the "on" lights are well ON

I know it isnt a virus cause i reinstalled windows, I used all the disc...so its like how it was when it was brand new.

Anyway, i fresh started it up, and still has that problem. It seems to make my monitor (brand new monitor) a little fuzzy too. Specially when im running programs. I see the fuzzyness start

It shuts off when i download anything, like firefox. Im not knowlegable about what i have cause I dont know its names and stuff.

oh and lastly, i dont think its an overheating problem, cause i feel no sense of it overheating. I touch it and its as normal as when i first got it.

I have a compaq...and if you need any more information, please tell me where to look

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
If you are positive it is not a overheating problem then I would think the problem is more than likely coming from the power supply. But before you run out and buy a new try removing the side of the case and giving it a good cleaning. Then run the computer with the side off. This will help determine if it is a heating issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, it looked like i could take a side off, but its seal shut still. I toke 2 screws out but I cant pull the side out

and im not compeltly sure if the overheating is a problem. Its just that when i touch it, its not 'hot'

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
It's good that you started a fresh thread , that's the corret way to do things , keeps your problem distant from others so that things don't get confused.
If the side won't come off on its own and your sure that its a separate side cover rather than an up & over type cover, try giving a little bit of help by nudging the panel firmly but gently from the side opposite to the place where you removed the screws.
The advice given so far is pretty good, fuzziness "on Screen" is usually a good indication of a noisy power supply however there is also a possibility that you have some degraded capacitors on your motherboard that are causing the problem. When you get the side off give the innards a good clean up, look at your fans to make sure that they aren't clogged up with dust & debris. With the power off, spin the fans by hand to see if they run freely. You can't do much about the fan inside your power supply except get the hoover out and suck as much dust out as possible. If you have a can of compressed air try spraying from one side whilst running the hoover from the other.
Visually check the Motherboard for signs of swollen capacitor tops.
See if you can borrow a good quality power supply from a friend to see whether your problem goes away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, ill try harder opening it up

I notice in the front, there are small openings (for design i guess) and if i look through, there is like alayer of dust

i think it need good cleaning

but before i open, that 1 side is needed to be opened right? And about those downloads, they to help my computer right, or just check things? What are temps?

also, about the 'fuzzy screen'... the computer isnt noisy (loud) at all.

and also, about the motherboard, i dont know what that is lol, so i wouldnt know if i found it when i open up. But id clean al the dust off everywhere, so i should get that cleared up if dust is whats causing the problem.

Thanks alot you guys :)

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
ok, ill try harder opening it up

I notice in the front, there are small openings (for design i guess) and if i look through, there is like alayer of dust

i think it need good cleaning

but before i open, that 1 side is needed to be opened right? And about those downloads, they to help my computer right, or just check things? What are temps?
temps= temperature
downloads are for checking the temperatures using built in sensors on your system, if there are any.

also, about the 'fuzzy screen'... the computer isnt noisy (loud) at all.
We aren't talking about audible noise but electrical noise that manifests itself in the form of an annoying trait, the trait varies from machine to machine and the severity of the encroaching fault.

and also, about the motherboard, i dont know what that is lol, so i wouldnt know if i found it when i open up. But id clean al the dust off everywhere, so i should get that cleared up if dust is whats causing the problem.

Thanks alot you guys :)
Motherboard is the big board that holds the CPU (Central Processor Chip) and has several connectors on it for adding extra Electronics cards Like the graphics adapter that puts a display on your monitor OR a modem to allow you to connect to the Internet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oki just check the temps using speedfan

not good news :(

It says my CPU is (down) -128C
and Local is (down) and (up) sometimes
same with Remote

how do i fix this? It seems all my fans are working (computer opened)

help please

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
SMBus successfully enabled
Linked Intel 82801DB ICH4 SMBUS at $FC00
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
Scanning Intel SMBus at $FC00...
ADM1027 (ID=$27) found on SMBus at $2E
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found WDC WD200EB-11CPF0 (20.0GB)
End of detection

what does that mean?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oki just check the temps using speedfan

not good news :(

It says my CPU is (down) -128C
and Local is (down) and (up) sometimes
same with Remote

how do i fix this? It seems all my fans are working (computer opened)

help please

I mean "down" by a blue down arrow

and sometimes, Local and Remote is a green check mark...they werent "up"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I still see the "fuzzy" screen after i dusted it and clean it up:4-dontkno

oh and how do i upgrade my motherboard if thats the prob?

also, when i check the device manager, and clicked the "system devices"

it says "No drivers are installed for this device.

If you are having problems with this device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter."

on the 'motherboard resources'
and several others including 'system timer' and 'system speaker'

whats up witht that?

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
I think we need more info about your PC. Can you download Everest ( Look under "THE MATT's" signature for a link, and give us some better details about your PC. You indicate that you're using XP but is that the system that has problems or another one?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.