Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's early in the morning and I'll post the specs after class, so bare with me for a second.

I have a problem shutting down my computer. It takes a very long time for me to turn off my computer. After clicking turn off computer, it takes about 5 mins. for the "Stand By, Log Off, Turn Off Computer" window to pop up, another 5 mins. to log off, and another 5 mins. for the computer to actually shut down.

If I just log off, then shut down, it takes only a couple mins. to log off but it still takes a while to shut down from there.

It should not take 15 mins. to turn off a computer, what could be wrong?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
welcome to tsf
start=run=type- msconfig to see whats running in the backround to slim it down

are you using norton?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pentium 4, 2.8ghz at 800
512MB RAM
Radeon 9200
Windows XP home 2002 version, service pack 2

I do not have norton.

All programs are closed before shutdown.

Nothing hidden is running before shutdown, and shutdown still takes forever.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
first run scans from the links below
try housecall. adaware . and ewido
then run cleanup

otherwise we should do a hyjack log

post back

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran all those programs, and for the last one "cleanup" I followed some links and ended up downloading Spybot Search & Destroy. I hope that was what I was supposed to download.

Anyway, I found a good 200 files that needed to be quarantined, repaired, deleted, and looked at from using those programs.

I'm going to run an error check, disk cleanup, defragment, and see how it runs from there.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
ok then
could you downloadload hyjack this [ link below ]
do a scan, copy and paste it in your notepad folder
and then post it in the hyjack section here..
with all the infections that shown there are probably some that need to be dealt with.

post back

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yea i share the same problem as Dataniel. Long shutdown time. The only fast way to shutting down the com is via Task Manager. But obviously there's sth wrong that i can shut down the com normally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.