Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I inoculated my system a while ago but recently I've been having a problem with my computer shutting down after being left idle for a couple of hours. I haven't had this problem before and I KNOW that it is not caused by overheating so I was wondering if maybe anyone could help me out by looking at my HJT logfile:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 1:29:17 PM, on 3/13/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe
C:\Program Files\i2hub\i2hub.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\ThunderCalTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [thndrbrd] C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [i2hub] C:\Program Files\i2hub\i2hub.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tray] C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\ThunderCalTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StarSkin] C:\PROGRAM FILES\ROCKET DIVISION SOFTWARE\STARSKIN\STARSKIN.EXE -H
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe 1
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\npjpi142_06.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\npjpi142_06.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall-beta.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan60.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=34738&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {2ED9BC2B-4DF1-472E-9B5E-55477D2C97F5} (Microsoft Data Collection Control) - https://support.microsoft.com/OAS/ActiveX/odc.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1093150650375
O16 - DPF: {75D1F3B2-2A21-11D7-97B9-0010DC2A6243} (SecureLogin.SecureControl) - http://secure2.comned.com/signuptemplates/ActiveSecurity.cab
O16 - DPF: {D719897A-B07A-4C0C-AEA9-9B663A28DFCB} (iTunesDetector Class) - http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/detection/ITDetector.cab
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/activedata/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {F04A8AE2-A59D-11D2-8792-00C04F8EF29D} (Hotmail Attachments Control) - http://by10fd.bay10.hotmail.msn.com/activex/HMAtchmt.ocx
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

Thanks.

·
TSF Security Manager, Emeritus
42,837 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSF.

I am currently reviewing your log. Please note that this is under the supervision of an expert analyst, and I will be back with a fix for your problem a.s.a.p

Please be patient with me during this time.

·
42,837 Posts
Hello bynovember, and thank you for your patience, :smile:

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order it is mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes. You should not have any open browsers when you are following the procedures below.

Go to My Computer->Tools/View->Folder Options->View tab and make sure that 'Show hidden files and folders' (or 'Show all files') is enabled. Also make sure that Display the contents of System Folders' is checked. Windows XP's search feature is a little different. When you click on 'All files and folders' on the left pane, click on the 'More advanced options' at the bottom. Make sure that Search system folders, Search hidden files and folders, and Search subfolders are checked.

Go to Start->Settings->Control Panel and double-click on the System icon. On the Performance tab click File System. Click the Troubleshooting tab, and then check Disable System Restore. Click OK. Click Yes when you are prompted to restart Windows. When we have confirmed that your log file is clean, you may enable System Restore again by following the same steps as above except you should uncheck Disable System Restore.

For the options that you checked/enabled earlier, you may uncheck them after your log is clean. If we ask you to fix a program that you use or want to keep, please post back saying that (we don't know every program that exists, so we may tell you to delete a program that we think is bad to keep).

The Temp folders should be cleaned out periodically as installation programs and hijack programs leave a lot of junk there. Download CleanUp! (Alternate Link if main link doesn't work) and install it. Do not run it yet.

Reboot your system in Safe Mode (By repeatedly tapping the F8 key until the menu appears).

WeatherBug - it's adware. If you didn't install this yourself, uninstall it. If you did install it yourself, you may keep it and ignore any fixes/deletions listed below.

Go into Hijack This->Config->Misc. Tools->Open process manager. Select the following and click “Kill process” for each one (You must kill them one at a time).

C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe

Click > Start > Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs and uninstall the following programs:

Weatherbug

Run a scan in HijackThis. Check each of the following and hit 'Fix checked' (after checking them) if they still exist (make sure not to miss any):

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe 1

Delete the following Files indicated in RED and Folders indicated in BLUE if they still exist.

C:\Program Files\AWS --(This is Weatherbug)

Run CleanUp! and click on CleanUp! button. When it asks you if you want to logoff, click on Yes.

Reboot into Normal Mode.

If you disabled System Restore, make sure to enable it now.

Note:
I see you have P2P software installed on your machine. We are not here to pass judgment on file-sharing as a concept. However, we will warn you that engaging in this activity and having this kind of software installed on your machine will always make you more susceptible to re-infections.

To help prevent future spyware installations/infections, please read the Anti-Spyware Tutorial (http://www.greyknight17.com/spyware.htm#prevent) and use the tools provided.

Your log is relatively clean. I don’t see anything here that would be causing your shutdown problems.

It could be your power supply going bad--you may want to post this problem in the Windows XP Forum.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for your help. I did install Weatherbug myself and I made sure to install it in such a way that it did not infect my computer with spyware. Also, the p2p program that I use, i2hub, is extremely reliable and widely known to be spyware free. I don't know why my computer would be shutting itself down when being left idle because I have not changed the power source recently but this is a recent problem. Also, I know for a fact that my computer is not overheating, which is the most common cause for this problem. Any other suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
42,837 Posts
O.k. then for WeatherBug and i2Hub. Anything I've seen on this shutdown problem has been caused by a faulty power supply. Do post this problem in the Windows XP Forum where more experienced eyes regarding this problem will see it.

Good Luck... :smile:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.