Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if exact system specs are helpful or not, but I'm running a Pentium 4 @3ghz with 1gig ram and 160gb free hd space.

I'm finding a repeated irregularity when trying to shutdown through start->turn off -> turn off. I have to do it twice, which isn't a huge hassle but I wonder if it's indicative of a more serious problem.

On a different note, explorer also acts odd when I try to access one, and only one file, containing video files. Explorer will crash, as will something called dr watson post mortem.

Any help diagnosing both problems is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
sound slike its SW related and not HW related, sound slike just a program that wont terminate and takes a while. Try this:
start > run > MSCONFIG > startup (top right [TAB]) > Disable all > apply > close > restart > when windows starts back up click do not display this again and then click OK

try shutting down and see if that is better if it is then its just trial and error going thru the startup file seeing which program is causing the problem.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
try performing a chkdsk /r on your computer and see if that helps out solve the issue.

pop in your windows xp cd in the cdrom and then reboot the computer. go into the bios and change your first boot device to cdrom, save settings and then exit the bios.

then the computer should boot to your windows xp cd. on the main console choose repair instead of install. the computer will ask you for an admin password but if you dont have one, simply press enter to skip it. then on C: type in "chkdsk /r" without the "" and make sure there is a space between chkdsk and /r.

this should take a bit of time and then after this is finish, reboot the computer and boot into windows normally. see if this helps out solve your problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. I will certainly try out both solutions. I'll be back later today to let you know how it goes.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey... yea as prev post they are good adv also what you want to do is check you power mangment settings as well have a look to see if theirs a dely of say a few secons u can get this in the power options in the display settings under screen saver then advance i belive..?!? also you might want to check in bios to see if theirs anything in their which might be causeing a delay in shutting down...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
keymaker said:
try performing a chkdsk /r on your computer and see if that helps out solve the issue.

pop in your windows xp cd in the cdrom and then reboot the computer. go into the bios and change your first boot device to cdrom, save settings and then exit the bios.

then the computer should boot to your windows xp cd. on the main console choose repair instead of install. the computer will ask you for an admin password but if you dont have one, simply press enter to skip it. then on C: type in "chkdsk /r" without the "" and make sure there is a space between chkdsk and /r.

this should take a bit of time and then after this is finish, reboot the computer and boot into windows normally. see if this helps out solve your problem.
It's taken me a while to get around to this, but I've finally given it a shot and it worked quite nicely.

Thanks once again to everyone that offered advice, I truly appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.