Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have this old computer that runs Windows for Workgroups 3.11. I absolutely hate the interface, so I've installed programs that give me a Win95 interface. The problem is that they slow it down so much that I can barely do anything. I have old Windows 95 disk images (the original, ORIGINAL version) that a friend gave me to play around with, and I was wondering if I should try upgrading to Windows 95 for a possible usability increase and a few more programs to use. Here's the hardware config:

Packard Bell Legend 204CD

486DX2/66mhz
8 MB RAM
512 MB hard drive
WFWG 3.11 with DOS 6.22
I think the video hardware is some type of Cirrus Logic GD5xxx card, which goes up to 16 million colors in 640x480, but only to 32,000 in 800x600 and 256 in 1024x768. o_O
Sound Blaster Pro
Generic Packard Bell Mouse & Keyboard
Monitor's really small, about 13/15 inches? and has speakers built into it.
CD-ROM drive
3 1/2 Floppy

I think that's all the specifics. But here's a few questions that I need answered:

-Will it be a bit more responsive, or will it be slow as a dead snail?
-Will I still have the great DOS support my computer has now?
-Will I have go on a "driver hunt" after installing, or is the hardware supported?
-Is my hard drive too small?
-Will it murder my Win3.11 configuration, should I need to switch back?
-Is this even a good idea!?
-I was wondering if it's possible to take the contents of my Win95 floppy images and copy them to a CD and use that to install other than floppies. I don't seem to remember it working, but maybe there's a tweak that'll allow that?

Thanks for any help you might provide.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Woah... Ok first, this isn't your only computer is it? 8 MB RAM... that's almost from before I was born..

Anyway. I don't think your comp can support Win95 very well. I seriously suggest spending $50 on a computer from the 20th century.
If you do, don't worry about losing DOS, it's still great on 95.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wow! That is an antique. Your bios isn't going to let you add more memory even if you can find it. Your best bet here is to cut your losses and upgrade to something more modern.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I ran WIN 98SE on an almost identical machine a Looooog time ago (we wont go there) it worked OK. It’s no speed demon but for doing some word processing or simpler tasks it would be fine.
I thought my DX2 was a screamer when I got it for a bargain price of $1400. Upgrade from a 386 25. :grin:

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello:

Dont spend a dime on a machine that old / its a VERY poor investment

you would be far better served to buy one of the entry level Dell's for $400.00 or similar / or check ebay for an older complete system that is capable of running win 98SE WELL !!

this is a very reputable seller 523 sales and no one was disappointed with them / 100 % happy with a 30 day guarantee !! all for $127.00 and it might even go cheaper if the buy it now is not used !!

You need a computer chair with seat belts & helmet with oxygen mask to run this one compared to what you have !!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-GX150-Desk...712167464QQcategoryZ51119QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

regards

joe

·
Registered
344 Posts
oldmn said:
I ran WIN 98SE on an almost identical machine a Looooog time ago (we wont go there) it worked OK. It’s no speed demon but for doing some word processing or simpler tasks it would be fine.
I thought my DX2 was a screamer when I got it for a bargain price of $1400. Upgrade from a 386 25. :grin:
Haha..

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
If you just need a machine to tinker with, why not just go to some garage sales and see what you can find? You're sure to find at least a couple of decent machines.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got bored, went ahead and installed it. Works great. I actually have other computers I can use, I just like messing around with stuff, and anyways now I have the best of two worlds. From what I've tried out, most programs work at a decent speed, including MP3 playing in Winamp and 3D Pinball (from WinXP). I feel I can use it more now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.