Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been contemplating XP but not really sure i would benefit from it much. Primarily I surf and play games. I am using 98 SE now and have been for some time and it is doing great. It is like one of those old sayings "if it ain't broke dont fix it".

Would just like some input.

Thanks for the help in advance

Laffctx

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:coffee:

I personally like XP, its code is as stable as Win2k and its a gaming system. You get NT stability and the NTFS file system security as well as a gaming system. Win2k is extremely stable but is not to gamer friendly...XP offers full gaming with the stability, besides the XP registration on only 1 system per copy limitation:( I haven't found a downside of the OS yet.

You have to be careful of which version of XP you buy, basically XP Home is domain crippled which means it wont interface smoothly with an NT domain it will connect but cannot be administered and you have to keep entering passwords and usernames... its a pain, and really isn't meant for anything other than Peer to Peer networking (max 5 machines)
XP Pro has full network features enabled as well as encryption and some other toys, but if you don't have a home network with an NT domain and don't plan on ever having one save your money and buy XP Home.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
First off ...get the compatablity check off of the XP cd or the XP site....see what you in for.....

Then if you can......go for it....XP is a 1000 x more stable, user friendly and all around nice O/S compared to 9X

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
I got is free with the computer I brought from dell. And that was the only os they offered. So it was either that or nothing

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,697 Posts
Go for it!
If you run anything below Win2k, you will benefit from XP.
As long as you pass the compatibility test, it should be easy.
I was in this situation before also, but now I wont go back to anything less than XP.

·
Registered
100 Posts
you also get a lot of cool addins, like a free firewall and Windows messenger (not quite the same has MSN messenger). Its the best OS that MS has made yet.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
It sucks Jamman but since not enough stink was made activation is here to stay:angry2:

What I heard is it takes alot of devices to activate reactivation....so if you are systems are close go for it....and the database is washed out every 120 days...so you should be able to install it every 4 months...

Any one tried it yet??:confused:

I mean in a lab just to see???

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Okay... I have a report explaining in detail the XP registration process, unfortunately I'm at work, so I'll try to remember to post it when I get home. If anyone is feeling adventurous and NOT at a job you can go to astalavista.com and search for it yourselves and post it for me.... but ONLY if your not at work i don't want anyone getting trouble ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.