Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed XP Home and formated my hard drive to FAT32. After hearing that NFTS would have been a better choice, I am considering converting. What are the advantages of NFTS? Being able to put a password on a folder is not an issue. Are there any other reasons for doing this? I heard that some of my older programs may not work as well if I convert. All help appreciated.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
It's unlikely you'd see any change when converting to NTFS. OTOH, if you use the Windows utility to do the conversion, you'll end up with a slower machine! The default cluster size for their conversion is 512bytes, due to an alignment issue with the FAT filesystem being converted. This will result in lousy performance, so it's not recommended. FWIW, I run most of my systems with FAT32, since it's easier to do maintenance on them, and there's no significant benefit to me to have NTFS.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I have read that converting can cause some problems so I decided not to do it untill I format some time in the future. All of the benefits don't really apply to my own usage anyhow.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If your ever plan on having a dual boot system,and the other o/s being 95,98,98se you'll have to use FAT32.

These o/s don't support NTFS.
Win.2000 does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.