Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide which system I should get. For the same price, I can get either a AMD 64 3200+ 2.0ghz with 512mb of RAM and a 160gb hard drive, or a Pentium 4 2.66ghz with 256mb of RAM and 80gb hard drive. A guy at the store said that the AMD 2.0ghz is as fast as a Pentium 2.66ghz. Is that true or was he full of it? I would like to get the better processor. I'm stepping up from a Celeron 900mhz and I want something fairly fast and powerful (it's at a real good price too). If anyone has any insight into my situation, please let me know which system would be the better choice.
Thanks.

Moe

P

·
0 Posts
I always prefer intel over amd. Gamers would prefer amd but i never had a performance problem with my intel cpu.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
the amd 3200 will be as fast as a 3.2 intel.

so, if it was me, no way in hell i'd go for the 2.0 performance if i can get the 3.2.

the intel 2.6 is going to do roughly 6850 million instructions per second, and
the amd 3200 is going to do roughly 8400 million.

now, if you were comparing an intel that was actually equal, then it would be a toss up.

·
Registered
166 Posts
WaltSide said:
the amd 3200 will be as fast as a 3.2 intel.
The AMD 2800 is as fast as the 3.2 Intel :)

melmoe said:
A guy at the store said that the AMD 2.0ghz is as fast as a Pentium 2.66ghz. Is that true or was he full of it?
Hes full of it alright. The AMD 3000 (2.0GHz) is much faster than a P4 2.6 GHz. Hell, an AMD Athlon 2800 is probably just as fast as a P4 3.2 GHz. I've built both system and I like the AMD muuuuuuuuch better. (Maybe thats cause I have an extreme hatrid for Intel :p)

In conclusion, AMD all the way baby! :D

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I have both systems presently with a little different configuration except my P4 is a 2.8 and just got rid of a 2.26 P4.

. In head to head comparisions, you would be much better off to buy the 3200+ Athon 64 if you are looking for the best performing unit. It will simply smoke the 2.66 P4 in a head to head benchmark.

The Athlon products are cheaper, faster, cooler (newer ones only, old ones hotter) in comparison to some of the P4 chips. I always keep one of each (one for usage and one for spare) for my personal use so quite often have the opportunity to compare their performance. You would be more pleased with the Athlon chip.

Addendum: You need to know that I can't say anything bad about the Pentium chips, because they are a quality product, so my choice is not from sour grapes (don't hate Intel like the last poster), but from preferences based upon present usage. Both are quality products.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you can only afford an P4 2.66GHz and 256mb with the Intel setup, go AMD....but theres no way a P4 2.66GHz costs as much as an AMD 3200+ (or more by the less amount of RAM you would be putting into it)

P4 2.66: $117
AMD 3200+: $190

Why would you only get an P4 2.66GHz? Thats a crappy processor. Step up and get a Pentium 4 640 (that's 3.2GHz) and you'll be set

P4 640: $215

Intel processors are better all-around, more processing power and much better multitasking, and I'd definitely go with them if you aren't planning on gaming. Since AMD processor win by a smidge in gaming (and a lot more than a smidge with their FX processor...which are awesome).

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
TheGooseyOne said:
if you can only afford an P4 2.66GHz and 256mb with the Intel setup, go AMD....but theres no way a P4 2.66GHz costs as much as an AMD 3200+ (or more by the less amount of RAM you would be putting into it)

P4 2.66: $117
AMD 3200+: $190

Why would you only get an P4 2.66GHz? Thats a crappy processor. Step up and get a Pentium 4 640 (that's 3.2GHz) and you'll be set

P4 640: $215
this is more or less exactly what i was saying, the 2.6 intel, and the 3200 amd aren't in the same class.

a 3.2 intel and a 3200 would be arguable though, with the performance ratings alot closer to each other.

so asking if you should get a 2.6 intel, or a 3200 amd, is like asking which is faster, an amd 2600 or a 3200.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Besides compairing two processors that are not even in the same class, you might want to re-evaluate your memory needs. 256MB is not even enough for any gaming or todays apps and 512MB is only marginal. With the prices of memory as cheap as they are, 1gb can be had for under 100 bucks.

Another note. Depnding on how long you keep this setup and Vista around the corner, you may want to stay with a 64 bit compatible processor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.