Tech Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently i have 4 hard drives. 2 data hard drives, 1 for windows 7 32 bit and 1 for windows 7 64 bit.
im thinking of giving-in, sacrifice privacy and get windows 10/11 if released (and if stable).

should i install 5th hard drive and install a new windows on it ? would it be prone to damage ? how can i avoid it ?

thanks for all help.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,854 Posts

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
There is no reason to have 32 bit and 64 bit Windows. on the same machine. 64 bit Windows can run just about any 32 bit program. Older programs can run with Compatibility Mode. There isn't any difference between 64 bit and 32 bit Windows 7 except with 64 bit It supports more RAM. Also, Windows 7 has not been supported by Microsoft for a year and a half now. Soon you will not be able to get online with Windows 7.
Windows 10 has been out for over 5 years now. And it is very stable. Windows 11 is just a code name and it will probably end up being a major Upgrade in the late Fall and still be called Windows 10.
I would pull at least one Windows 7 HDD out, probably the 32 bit version and replace it with a new HDD and Install Windows 10. If you really want the drive with 32 Bit, you can always Plug that in too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no reason to have 32 bit and 64 bit Windows. on the same machine. 64 bit Windows can run just about any 32 bit program. Older programs can run with Compatibility Mode. There isn't any difference between 64 bit and 32 bit Windows 7 except with 64 bit It supports more RAM. Also, Windows 7 has not been supported by Microsoft for a year and a half now. Soon you will not be able to get online with Windows 7.
Windows 10 has been out for over 5 years now. And it is very stable. Windows 11 is just a code name and it will probably end up being a major Upgrade in the late Fall and still be called Windows 10.
I would pull at least one Windows 7 HDD out, probably the 32 bit version and replace it with a new HDD and Install Windows 10. If you really want the drive with 32 Bit, you can always Plug that in too.
i didnt ask for if i should have X OS or what it does.
i asked if is it dangerous to install additional HDD (a 5th HDD). also, if it is dangerous, what to do to avoid the damages that might occur (if any).

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,854 Posts

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
The only danger is that your PSU may be underpowered to support 5 drives and all your other peripherals (ie) Video Card, Optical Drive etc What is the output voltage?

·
Registered
7 Posts
im thinking of giving-in, sacrifice privacy and get windows 10/11 if released (and if stable).
You could try Windows 10 AME (Ameliorated Edition) which removes all the privacy intrusion at the executable level. It takes a little getting used to, but if you can adjust to it you may find it to be quite likeable. My system runs as well or better than it did with Win7.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts