Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a Dell M65 Precision Laptop with Windows XP Pro. I have a phenomenon where the computer suddenly acts as if the shift key is being held down. The cursor locks to the shift+click function and highlights from wherever it started to wherever you move it to. This happens in MS OFFICE apps, and on the desktop. Also, the keyboard functions are reversed. For example if you have the caps lock on the characters are lower case unless you hold down Shift. Another clue may be that in the past (and at the suggestion of Dell tech support - idiots), if you press Shift+Alt+left click, it will occasionally release the functional problem. The past couple of days, that's not working, and the only thing that will release is a reboot. It happens with the keyboard on the laptop as well as an external keyboard through a port replicator.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
When did this start happening? If it is a recent issue (started less than a month ago), then I would perform a system restore to a couple days before this became an issue. The steps for using the System Restore are detailed here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been happening from since shortly after i installed my programs and preferences after i bought it. I've tried system restore a couple of times, but maybe i haven't gone back far enough. Will try.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.