Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have 2 PC both with XP, I can share files, drives and USB printer, but I cant share USB scanner or the internet, I let XP setup everything, it created a network bridge and on the other pc a Internet gateway

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Most scanners can't be shared, so that's no big surprise. Getting Microsoft's ICS to work is a whole topic in itself. :D

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I point people to AnalogX to download their free proxy server. It's much easier to get going, and works better IMO than ICS.

As far as sharing scanners, I think HP has several models that can be shared, but they're not cheap. Since you have to be at the scanner anyway, sharing them seems to be a waste of time. They're also real cheap, $30-40 gets you a pretty decent scanner nowadays. :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanx

PC1(main pc) is swiched on but not logged in
I know that I can acess the files from PC2
can PC2 still print and use the net(using AnalogX proxy server) or does PC1 have to be logged in

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I believe that you can access the net as long as it's booted. Of course, I can't say that I've ever tried it that way, most folks want their PC's to automagically login anyway. :) As I recall, the proxy runs as a service, so it would be running before login.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
proxy isnt running as a service, i have to login for it to work, hos to I make proxy as a service?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.