Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a laptop at work that I want to have internet access through our network. What is the best way to set it up to share the internet connection through the desktop? And can you provide basic instructions on how to do it? Thanks alot for the help. Both are XP Machines

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably. Altho there is no extra jack into the room that I am in so I'd have to split it with a router or something. But isn't there a way to set up ICS on the PC and put another network card in the PC and share it that way? Or is this not possible?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You could set up the desktop and the laptop on the router and enable internet connection sharing on the desktop. After that you'd have to set up the laptop to use the desktops IP address as the gateway. You would also probably have to set up the DNS which the desktop is using. If you're interested in learning more about domain networking you could check out CA World here www.ca.com/caworld/

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So there is no way to simply put a NIC card in the desktop and share it that way? I would have to set up a router? And if that is so, I might as well just have the laptop connect to the domain right?

·
Registered
33 Posts
boo to router answer, yes get a second network card for pc, once its installed goto my network places and the adaptors properties that is connected to the net ( the laptop hooked to the other adaptor/NIC ) under advanced i think, choose to share the net connection. now on the laptop run the network wizard and choose connects to internet through other computer. all done :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.