Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have read through many posts on here and everytime someone else has had a similar problem it hasnt been resoved or it has, and when I follow the same guidelines it doesnt work for me. Now my problem is very odd in that about 2 weeks ago I could share files from my laptop no problem but now I cant. First off I will give you a quick run down of the setup and what I have tried.

Network is made up of;
STUDY - Desktop PC connected to Router via CAT-5 (running XP Media Center)
FECKARSE - Desktop PC connected to Router via CAT-5 (running XP Pro)
GIMPY - Laptop connected to network via Wi-Fi (running XP Media Center)

Now the problem is that GIMPY cannot share files with the other 2, they all connect to the router and therefore to the Internet fine. GIMPY used to be able to share files fine and then one day it just stopped - very strange.

Now I have tried changing the name, checking all subnets and workgroups, all computers can ping each other fine both ways, however the only problem I can identify is that FECKARSE and STUDY cannot 'ping GIMPY', suggesting that it is a naming issue, but I have changed the name and this makes no difference. I cannot view WORKGROUP computers via GIMPY, but can from all other computers.

There are no 3rd party firewalls running, Windows Firewall is configured to allow file and printer sharing and all required ports are open. I have tried disabling it but that does not affect the situation.

Also checked the Event Log and the only thing that keeps having consistant errors is "Service Control Manager" and this was an "Event 7000" and there is a N/A User notification.

Sorry for the long post but thought I would write down as much info as possible.

Cheers

Tim

·
Global Moderator
51,635 Posts
Actually, the fact that you can't ping suggests that you have a mis-configured firewall on GIMPY. There is very little except a firewall that will prevent you from being able to PING.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, however I have enabled all File and Printer sharing settings and cross-referenced all open ports with Windows guidelines. I have also disabled Firewall and it still doenst work....hmmmmm.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,
Tim

·
Global Moderator
51,635 Posts
Like I said, there is a firewall component of some kind still running, there is almost no other reason for a failure to respond to a PING. You obviously have TCP/IP connectivity, since you can access the Internet.

One question, can you ping by IP address and not by name?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have just been into the task manager and looked through all NETWROK SERVICES which were running.

I have ended wmiprvse.exe (the netwrok service one not the System one) and it all now works, I can ping the name and I can also access all files a folders.

Thanks very much for your help...any idea what this service is?

Edit: Did a Google of it and its a Windows Management thing, but other have had sharing issue with it. Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It has stopped again, I can now see files but not computers can access them as it says destination is unreachable...i was so close...

FECKARSE can access all shared files on GIMPY, however GIMPY cannot see FECKARSE in Workgroup Computers, but it can see STUDY but cannot access its files.

What the hell is going on, even with all firewalls turned off there is still no joy.

GIMPY will not refresh the files that are being shared by FECKARSE - probably as it cannot see it!

·
Global Moderator
51,635 Posts
Here's the whole checklist, try running down and see where you have a problem.

Checklist for networking Windows Machines with TCP/IP
-----------------------------------------------------
- PCs which are not XP must have TCP/IP installed.
- Each PC must have a unique computer name.
- Each PC must have a network share defined.
- ALL NICS must be on the same subnet (e.g. IP 192.168.0.* subnet mask 255.255.255.0).
- XP PCs must have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled (only essential for XP to talk to W9X PCs).
- MS Client and file & printer sharing must be enabled on each machine.
- All NICs must have their node type = anything except p-node (peer to peer, or point-point).
* To check, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL.
- XP's ICF firewall is permanently disabled. (Only necessary for pre XP SP2).
- All 3rd party firewalls are disabled, uninstalled and deleted (until connection is working).
- PCs have the same workgroup (helps, but not essential for XP/2K, necessary for 9X/ME).

Allow 15 mins after rebooting a PC for that PC to appear in the workgroup, or
for it to see all other PCs. Or you can search for the PC by its computer name.

Additional things to check if you still have problems:
-----------------------------------------------------
- Check your Services are Started on all PCs: Workstation, DHCP Client, Server, TCP/IP Netbios helper, Computer Browser.
- XP gives access to its shares via the Net Guest Account. (Note, not the same as the local guest account in user accounts which should be off). Net Guest Account is enabled by default in XP, but to check it, open a command prompt and type: NET USER GUEST
Should return a line with 'Account active yes'.

Check XP Security policies:
--------------------------
- Access this computer from the network: add guest
- Deny logon locally: remove guest
- Network access:Sharing and security model... -> Guest only
- Deny access to this computer from the network-> check Guest is not here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: fixed it by changing the DHCP registery key value as it had been set wrong. If anyone finds this thread and is having the same problem and wants help just post a reply anytime and il tell you how to do it.

Cheers johnwill.

·
Global Moderator
51,635 Posts
Here's my fix for the Peer network type. :smile:

Create a file in notepad named NODETYPE.REG with the following contents:

------------------- Use text after this line -------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]

"NodeType"=dword:00000001
------------------- Use text before this line -----------------

Double click on the file and say Yes to the merge into registry question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.