Tech Support banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two systems running Windows 10 Pro. One is v2004 and the other is v20H2. The latter has a large external hard drive connected. I want to be able to access it from the v2004 system. I set the drive to share on the v20H2 system and have a drive letter, Z. I set the permissions to "full" and used the advanced settings to disable the need for a password. From the v2004 system, I can see the v20H2 system and the shared drive in the file explorer. However I cannot access the drive. I get the dialog below. What do I need to do, and where?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to "Take Ownership" of the disc with the v2004.

EDIT: In case you haven't done this in the past: Take ownership of files and get full access in Windows 10
Below is what I get when following what is in the link. They are blank. The dialog on the right comes from the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the left dialog box. This is not an area I use much. I do not know what to do from here and the link you gave is for something existing and not new.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back in the days of Windows 98, 2000, and XP, this was all so simple. I worked in I/T at a local factory. Now, there is so much more to it. However, the way things are now, I can see why; so many places being hacked into by foreign attackers.

In my case, one thing I noticed. The v20H2 system is visible in the File Explorer on the v2004 system. However, the reverse does not apply. I get blocked in the "take ownership" procedure in your first link.
The warning below comes from the v2004 system. The things is, I don't know where I am being blocked. It would save a lot of time if I could do this, but it is not absolutely necessary.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
29,257 Posts
Must have Admin status on both units. Also the "owner" in a Microsft Account is only the first 5 letters of the owners name. There is a shortcut hack for giving ownership status to new owners, but I can't remember it and a quick Google search doesn't come up with anything. Possibly Jenae wrote it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I am the only person who uses these machines, I have Admin status on both. I did some web searching of my own and didn't come up with anything that worked. I will keep trying. I went back and checked the share settings on the external drive attached to 20H2. I didn't see anything which would cause a problem, as far as I can tell.

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
Consider a NAS, it's a much simpler way to share. Also, you can have mirrored drives to greatly increase the security of your data.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To enable Sharing requires a password on both devices.
Both already have passwords in the form of PIN's required at startup.

I tried the switch approach late yesterday. I moved the external drive to the v2004 system. No good. I did more web searching and found a item in the advanced network settings which I had not bothered with. Something to do with guests and public users. Both were off so I enabled them. Still no difference.

There is one item which has changed. I had to shut down both systems last night because of some wicked lightning from thunderstorms. I restarted them this morning. Now, both systems are visible to each other in the file explorer.

Consider a NAS, it's a much simpler way to share. Also, you can have mirrored drives to greatly increase the security of your data.
NAS is mapping a network drive, or so I read. I used to do this in the old days with Windows 2000 on servers in a factory. There were around 30 connected systems. I tried this here, but this time, it did not work.

=======

In both situations above, I get the dialog box I placed in my OP.

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
NAS in this case refers to a real Network Attached Storage box. I have a Synology box and the NetGear ReadyNAS. This gives me a total of 5TB of mirrored on-line storage. Each of the NAS units has a USB drive connected to do backup of the dataset periodically.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NAS in this case refers to a real Network Attached Storage box. I have a Synology box and the NetGear ReadyNAS. This gives me a total of 5TB of mirrored on-line storage. Each of the NAS units has a USB drive connected to do backup of the dataset periodically.
You are referring to dedicated hardware and I am sure it does its job. This is an avenue I want to avoid.

I did some research on the web yesterday evening. Creating a NAS with only Windows 10 should be relatively easy. However, I find myself blocked on every attempt. The two systems I want to connect use a network switch to access a router. I had a passing thought there there may be something in the router's configuration I need to change. I have a long enough section of extra cable that I could do away with the switch. Somehow, I do not feel like this would help.

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
The router's ports should just be a switch and allow free access between connected computers. What is the make/model of the router?

FWIW, I have no issues at all sharing files between all the computers on my network here, both wired and wireless. I just go into Advanced sharing and share the folders/drives I wish to share and they're available.

Right click on the drive in question, you'll get this...

Hover over Give access to and Advanced Sharing... will pop up. Click on that.
On this screen, click on Advanced Sharing... again. I know, it's redundant! :)

This screen pops up, and I've already checked Share this Folder.

I clicked on Permissions and I get this screen.

Since I don't want Everyone to have full access, I click on Add... to add my admin account, I get this screen. I enter my login name and click on Check Names, then OK.

I'm back to this screen, but my account is also represented, I then allow all rights to my account.

OK your way out saving all the settings, and the drive is shared.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My router is a ZyXEL EMG3425-Q10A. I can access its setting through a web page. Just about everything in there is Greek to me.

I have seen the dialog boxes above several times in my attempts. The v2004 system with the external drive is no longer visible to the v20H2 system. This would be in the File Manager.

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
That router should allow sharing without any issues on the Ethernet ports. If that's not working, you have something configured wrong. Did you try following my trail of breadcrumbs?

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,190 Posts
Storm, make sure both PCs are using local Windows accounts with a password. No pin #'s & never use a Microsoft account, which is the least safe method.

Go into Network & Sharing Center in Control Panel then click the Change Advanced Sharing Settings link on the left. Make sure both computers are using the same settings below:
  • Turn Network Discovery ON
  • Turn On file & printer sharing
Under "ALL Networks" - sharing works best and is most secure if you Turn On password protected sharing. Reboot both PCs.

If both computers are using the same Windows user name and password, then you can follow John's instructions for sharing and Windows will not prompt you to enter user name credentials when you connect to the shared drive because it thinks you're the same user hosting the share. If you are Not using the same user name on both PCs, skip John's last 2 steps. When you connect to \\20H2\Share Windows will prompt you for a user name & password - enter the user & pass for the Windows account on 20H2 and check the box to "remember my credentials". Do Not take ownership of any files on the shared drive from another user account, there's no reason for it and you're just going to make a bigger mess.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't use an MS account unless the MS Store is considered as such. I just checked it and it requests a log in. PIN's are a different story. I have one on each machine. I know the original passwords, but the v2004 system doesn't want to let me revert back to using it. I tried twice. It did seem willing to let me create a new password, and I have another long one memorized. Perhaps this is what I will have to do. I haven't checked the v20H2 system yet, but I expect the same from it.

None of the "take ownership" steps worked. I didn't do anything which I could not undo. I will have to recheck, but I believe Network Discovery is ON with both systems as is file and printer sharing....I just checked both and everything is ON. I was not aware that a reboot was needed for the changes to take affect. Some things require it and others don't. The only item I left as is from before is the external drive's sharing settings. As far as I know, it is only the network name. \\7700-kaby-lake\z.

Both machines are currently tied-down doing other processes. When both are free, I will reboot them and see what I can do. Question: The password which the v20H2 system will request when I try to access the external on V2004 is the same as my boot password. Is this correct? It will also ask for a user name. I don't know what to use there! If I look at my Admin account information on both systems, there is a difference.v20H2 says "Local Account." v2004 show my email address. My first and last name appears at the top of both.

·
4,190 Posts
v20H2 says "Local Account." v2004 show my email address.
The latter means you are logging into the V2004 PC with a Microsoft Account and that's your problem. You need to convert that e-mail address login to a local Windows account.
Go to Settings>Accounts and select Sign in with a Local Account instead. All you need is a basic user name and a password, preferably with no spaces. If your Windows user name was Storm and the password was 1234, those are the credentials you'd enter into the Windows prompt when you connect to the shared drive. If both PCs have the exact same user name and password, you won't even have to enter anything.

I didn't really understand your first paragraph, but try my steps above, first. Taking ownership has nothing to do with what you're trying to accomplish and may only result in locking you out of the files from another PC. I always reboot after making those changes so the registry updates, I don't believe it's actually required.

Question: The password which the v20H2 system will request when I try to access the external on V2004 is the same as my boot password. Is this correct? It will also ask for a user name. I don't know what to use there!
I think that's a contradiction of the way you described your configuration in your first post. You originally said 20H2 is acting as your server with an additional storage drive attached.
  • V2004 is the client computer knocking on the door of 20H2. (client PC connecting to server)
  • 20H2 asks V2004 for the password to enter.
  • on the V2004 PC, when the user/password prompt pops up, you enter V2004's Windows user name and password
On either computer, click the Windows Start button then move your mouse up and click on the little person icon - that's your Windows user name. It can also be found in Settings>Accounts
You need to have the correct type of file sharing enabled on both computers, first, before both PCs can properly talk to each other and negotiate a connection to share files. This will normally take 5-10 minutes and you're done.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The latter means you are logging into the V2004 PC with a Microsoft Account and that's your problem.
This is how I got a strange name under "Users!" It truncated my email address to the length it wanted and used that. I didn't want it to do this.

I think that's a contradiction of the way you described your configuration in your first post.
This is because I moved the external drive. I thought this might help to solved the problem, but it did not.

On either computer, click the Windows Start button then move your mouse up and click on the little person icon - that's your Windows user name.
20H2 has my first name, only. 2004 has my first -and- last name. It got this from my MS account as well. If memory serves, I had to do a complete reinstallation of the OS when switching from a mechanical boot drive to a SSD. I skipped over entering the registration key and logged into the store account for the activation. This was my mistake. As for the drive change, I was not aware that a cloning would do what I needed.

Taking ownership was a suggestion from above. I was not able to make it work.

·
4,190 Posts
Slow down there grasshopper, no need to over complicate this. Just follow my previous instructions and don't try to fix something else that isn't broken.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts