Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a laptop running XP Home and at my office a printer that I would like to connect to is running XP Pro and is on the office domain. I know that you cannot log into a domain using XP Home however I do have access to a shared folder on the server. I cannot figure out a way to connect to the printer on one of the workstations. I am sure this is an issue with XP Home but is there any way to do this or am I out of luck?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
You can make a direct workgroup connection to the workstation and share the printer that way. Even though the systems are on a domain, you can still access shared resources on workstations directly, including printers. :smile:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you explain a bit more? The XP Home is not on the domain but the XP Pro w/ the printer is. I was unable to see the Pro machine on the My Network Places from the Home machine and was unable to connect to the printer via the Add Network Printer \\PCName\PrinterName.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does the office printer have an IP address associated with it? If so, the easiest way to add the printer is to create a new port to that IP address and load the drivers.

Some details:

First, obtain the latest drivers for that printer from the manufacture; if it is an HP printer, go to www.hp.com and download the drivers for Windows XP

Go to your Printers and Faxes in Control Panel, add new printer.

Choose a Local Printer, but do not allow it to automatically detect the printer.

By default, it will try to go to a USB or LTP1 port. Instead, choose to create a new port and hit the drop down menu to choose Standard TCP/IP port.

When the TCP/IP wizzard comes up, enter the name as the IP address of the printer. This will automatically fill in the next line.

Click finish and it will ask for the printer type. You can choose from the list provided or point to the drivers that you just downloaded.

Give the printer a name and do not share it, print a test page and you should be all set.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? I thought you could only do that with Printers with network cards in it or a print server attached? You can do that by simply using the IP of the PC attached to it?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
You have to install file and print sharing on the workstation and share the printer. If you do that, you'll see it on the network. Obviously, if you have a more complicated network with subnets, you may have problems with workgroup connections, but that's hard for me to know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, you would need to have a printer with an IP address assigned to it for the port mapping to work. It did not seem to clear to me as to whether this was an office printer connected directly to the network or one connected to another computer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.