Tech Support banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Windows server 2008 R2, DHCP enabled. all computers on the network IP4 configurations are set to "Obtain IP address automatically" (including the server).
For each group there is a shared partition. these partitions doesn't appear to Computers newly added to "Active Directory" unless i manually write the IP4 configurations on each new Computer as the following:

IP: "I set an IP that is not taken by another pc"
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Preferred DNS server: "server IP".

Only if i do so the shared partitions appear. but the problem is these computer lose the internet connection with the above configuration.

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,158 Posts
Best practice is to always have a Static IP for a Server or Filer and exclude it from the DHCP scope. Each Group is an AD Security Group ? and partitions mean Shared/Mapped Network Drives ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best practice is to always have a Static IP for a Server or Filer and exclude it from the DHCP scope. Each Group is an AD Security Group ? and partitions mean Shared/Mapped Network Drives ?
Static IP for a server is the one i get from the ISP?

Each group is a group in AD users and computers. Yes by partitions i meant Shared/Mapped Network Drives.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do i need only 1 static ip for the server or also another one for the router?

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,158 Posts
Static IP for a server is the one i get from the ISP?

Each group is a group in AD users and computers. Yes by partitions i meant Shared/Mapped Network Drives.
No, you will have a router which provides the IP right and the server acts as the DHCP server, if not, you might have to look at your DHCP setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts