Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am trying to set up my win98 machine as a share to a win2000 server. I can see both machines in Network neighborhood and My network places. I can access my drives from my win2000 server to my win98 machine but when I try accessing the drives on my win2000 server from my win98 machine I get the following

enter network password

resource \\comp. name\ipc$
password ???????

What password is it looking for? I would appreciate any help.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Establish an account on the W2K machine with the same name and password as you logon the W98 machine, the problem will go away. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume whem you say create an account that you mean a "user" account which I did but this did not solve my problem. I created a "user" account with PW for the share name of both my win 98 machine and my w2k server machine. This didn't help either.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
So, if you log onto the W98 machine with:

User: Computer User
PW: xyzzy

And you create an account on the W2K machine with the same user name and password, you still get the message? If so, I'm confused, that's all I've ever had to do to get them to play.

One possibility, what permissions does Computer User have on the W2K machine? Try giving him admin privileges to see if that helps.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I think I see where the confusion lies. It's not the name/PW that you use for your DSL account, it's the name/PW that you use when you startup Windows! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

I think it has something to do with not being part of a domain. I only have it set up as a workgroup because I tried my win pw as well and that didn't work. Win 2000 doesn't accept unecrypted pw's from win 98 machine.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
24giovanni said:
Hi,

I think it has something to do with not being part of a domain. I only have it set up as a workgroup because I tried my win pw as well and that didn't work. Win 2000 doesn't accept unecrypted pw's from win 98 machine.
That sure would be news to my network here! :) I have several W98 machines that have no problems logging into the W2K/XP machines as long as they're using a name/PW that has an account on the machine in question. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Is this still a problem?

You say Win2K server, in admin tools, What do you have? Is Active Directory...in there? 98s will need DSClient if there is an AD domain present. If no AD and the server is on a domain, you go to Properties of My Comp, Network ID, change from Workgroup to Domain, enter that domain name and join. Then when prompted you need a domain admin user and his PW to have the ability to join. The Domain provides a secure enviro for its resources. Does that help any?:rolleyes:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
24giovanni said:
Hi,

enter network password

resource \\comp. name\ipc$
password ???????
I just looked back at the original message, and I noticed that you're attempting to log into the administrative shares. Did you share any resources on the W2K machine?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.