Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I share files between a PC running Vista Basic and a Mac Mini running 10.4.11? Both computers are connected to the internet and each other through a DSE wireless router. The router is then connected to the modem. The PC is connected wirelessly and the Mac is connected via a network cable. Both can access the internet fine.
The PC can see the Mac in the "View Computers And Devices" but when I double click on the icon I am prompted to enter a Username/Password. I presumed this was the Mac administrators Username/Password and entered the details. I received a message saying "login unsuccessful" and to check the Username/Password. The problem is that the Username/Password was correct. I did some research and found that on Vista Ultimate you can access "Local Security Policy" and apparently change settings there and allow sharing between PC and Mac. This option doesn't exist for Vista Basic. As for the Mac it cant even see the PC let alone attempt to connect.
It seems absurd that Microsoft would release Vista Basic and make it so difficult to share files with Mac and vice versa. I was running XP home and within 2 minutes I could share files with the same Mac with the exact same setup. Unless I'm missing something that is right in front of me I would have to say that you simply can't share files between Vista Basic and Mac. Of course I could be missing something that is right in front of me... :4-dontkno

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.