Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My home setup has 3 XP machines which need to share Broadband internet connection.

I have following hardware
1) 3 XP machines.(all machines have one NIC each)
2) 1 Hub with Uplink port.
3) 1 Broadband Modem(which would probably give out one ethernet port)

Assump: If all my machines are well networked using the hub.

Please can some body suggest me how to share the internet connection in all my machines without buying any new hardware.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
For you own sake of mind and not to waste your time, I would not even attempt ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) through Windows.

I would buy at a 4 port router and this will make life much easier. Most of the wireless routers also include a 4 Ethernet ports as well.

If you are located in the US, you can find wireless routers with 4 port switches with mail in rebates for under $5. I have even purchased routers with rebates that made the router free, except for the cost of gasoline and a stamp!

JamesO

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team
10,822 Posts
Ummmm......is there some kind of problem with the Hub you mentioned? That should share your connection basically the same as a router. The 3 machines will be using the same pipeline though.

I agree you should buy a simple router for best results.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
CTSNKY, the hub won't do the NAT translation to allow all the machines to have Internet. That's where the router comes in, and is BY FAR the best way to solve this problem. :smile:

·
Registered
7,285 Posts
Have you tried hooking up what you have? Some ISPs will give a dhcp address to more than one computer. Before I got my router, I had 3 machines on a hub and Charter cable gave all 3 a dhcp address.

I still agree getting a router is the best way to do this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx Guys
It seems that I will have to buy to Broadband Router.

actaully this whole setup is for my home and office
so I am trying to save each and every penny that I can
:4-thatsba (saying no to all that I can save)
but if there is no option I will buy a Router
BTW
Does ICS not work well or is not very efficient or what exactly is the problem if I share it with ICS??

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
If you try to use ICS, you'll hate yourself in the morning. :grin:

Basically, it's a PITA to setup and keep running, the performance is lousy for other workstations, you need the host machine on all the time, and many web applications seem to choke on ICS.

Did I mention that it sucks? :grin:

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
John,

I take it that you have lost many useful hours getting and keeping ICS working!!

I assume the $3.00 router was real bargin and let you get a better night sleep?

JamesO

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Even if the router is more than $3.00 I pick it. :grin:

I've tangled enough with ICS to know it's not worth the trouble to get it running, and solve the compatibility and port forwarding issues that crop up when people use it.

ICS is the answer to a question that should have never been asked!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.